Unable to determine output

Hi,

I am unable to trace the behaviour of my TC compiler when it calculates the following exp :

z=--i*2+--i+--(--i);

z=--i+--(--i)
etc.

Please explain how it calculates these exp.Please give a proper answer I am uninterested in answer like the behaviour is compiler dependent.
Thanks.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2004-7-31 0:47:20[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : I am unable to trace the behaviour of my TC compiler when it calculates the following exp :
    :
    : z=--i*2+--i+--(--i);
    :
    : z=--i+--(--i)
    : etc.
    :
    : Please explain how it calculates these exp.Please give a proper answer I am uninterested in answer like the behaviour is compiler dependent.
    : Thanks.
    :
    [blue]That won't compile -- so TC can't calculate the expression.[/blue]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2004-7-31 0:47:20[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I am unable to trace the behaviour of my TC compiler when it calculates the following exp :
    : : z=--i*2+--i+--(--i);
    : : z=--i+--(--i)
    : : etc.
    : : Please explain how it calculates these exp.Please give a proper answer I am uninterested in answer like the behaviour is compiler dependent.

: : Thanks.
    : [blue]That won't compile -- so TC can't calculate the expression.[/blue]
    :
    :
    :

The code written above was actually
    int i=20;
    int z;
    z=(--i)*2+(--i)+(--(--i));

z=(--i)+(--(--i));

It is in compilable state.
    Please reply now.

• [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2004-8-7 6:25:59[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : The code written above was actually
    : int i=20;
    : int z;
    : z=(--i)*2+(--i)+(--(--i));
    :
    : z=(--i)+(--(--i));
    :
    : It is in compilable state.
    : Please reply now.
    :
    :

[blue]That still won't compile. Why don't you compile it yourself before posting?

This is not valid[/blue]
    [code]
    (--(--i)) [red]<<< invalid syntax[/red]
    [/code]

• : Please explain how it calculates these exp.Please give a proper answer I am uninterested in answer like the behaviour is compiler dependent.
    : Thanks.

It shouldn't matter how it's evaluated since you shouldn't be writing such evil expressions in the first place!
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2004-8-7 6:25:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : : The code written above was actually
    : : int i=20;
    : : int z;
    : : z=(--i)*2+(--i)+(--(--i));
    : : z=(--i)+(--(--i));
    : : It is in compilable state.
    : : Please reply now.
    Whether it compiles or not, why would you want to unless you are trying to confuse yourself.

• My guess is that it's an exercise in a book or tutorial to teach operator presidence. Otherwise useless exercise.