Problem with Numeric Formatting

Hi all.

I am trying to format the currencies in my app using thousands grouping and decimal separation.

I used the following class to do this:

[code]
Imports System
Imports System.Globalization

Public Class Globalizations

Public Shared nfi As NumberFormatInfo = New CultureInfo("el-GR", False).NumberFormat
Public Shared dtfi As DateTimeFormatInfo = New CultureInfo("el-GR", False).DateTimeFormat

End Class
[/code]

Then, in my form I used this code to format my number according to what I wanted it to look like:

[code]
Dim MyNum As Double = (Me.TextBox1.Text * Me.TextBox2.Text / 100)
Me.TextBox3.Text = MyNum.ToString("N", Globalizations.nfi)
[/code]

My problem is that this formatted number cannot participate in mathematical functions with the . symbol inside it as the thousands grouping symbol, but rather I have to use this command to make it usable:

[code]
Replace(Replace(Me.TextBox3, ".", ""), ",", ".")
[/code]

Is there any way to remove the formating without this double Replace command? Or maybe is there anything else I can do, to make the formatted number usable in mathematical functions, without it de-formatted?

Also, is there a way to assign the value to my control's text property and format it at the same time, without using the intermediate variable MyNum? I mean something like the following which I tried, but doesn't work:

[code]
Me.TextBox3.Text = (CDbl(Me.TextBox1.Text) + CDbl(Me.TextBox2.Text)).ToString("N", Globalizations.nfi)
[/code]

Thanks.

Comments

• Cast the textbox value to a numeric value that's appropriate.

You may also want to read the VB doc topic "formatNumber method"

HTHs

vbn
  • : Cast the textbox value to a numeric value that's appropriate.
    :
    : You may also want to read the VB doc topic "formatNumber method"
    :
    : HTHs
    :
    : vbn
    :
    [red]***************************************************************[/red]

The easiest way to format it is:

[blue]Imports[/blue] System.Convert

Label.Text = Variable.ToString("$#,###.##")

• Thanks

I was not aware it was even that simple.

Cheers
    vbn

• Thank you very much. I didn't know this method. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works. Thanks again. Take care. Bye.