Help!!!!!!

Hi,

I am trying to write a program that [blue] displays "05D9AJ6Z" on the screen.
Sorts the string into two separate strings, [black]numeric characters in one[/black], [red]alpha in the other.[/red] [/blue][purple]The sorting must be done by the program, not "hard-coded" into design. [/purple][red]Allocate two char arrays in the .data segment to hold the two groups of characters.[/red][green]Displays each of the sorted strings (i.e., displays 0596 and DAJZ). [/green]

Can somebody help me write this program???

Thanks,
Ami

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by shaolin007 at 2004-11-10 6:7:49[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : I am trying to write a program that [blue] displays "05D9AJ6Z" on the screen.
    : Sorts the string into two separate strings, [black]numeric characters in one[/black], [red]alpha in the other.[/red] [/blue][purple]The sorting must be done by the program, not "hard-coded" into design. [/purple][red]Allocate two char arrays in the .data segment to hold the two groups of characters.[/red][green]Displays each of the sorted strings (i.e., displays 0596 and DAJZ). [/green]
    :
    : Can somebody help me write this program???
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Ami

[green]
    First off get the obvious stuff out of the way and that is numbers are 30h-39h, and letters are 41h-5ah and 61-7ah. Next how are we going to detect a end of string? Maybe asciiz or some other character?
    Code would probably look like this...
    [code]
    ;use NASM

mov si, offset source_string ;the array to sort
    mov di, offset numbers
    mov bx, offset letters

Sort:
    cmp byte [si], 0
    je Done

cmp byte [si], 30h
    jb Skip

cmp byte [si], 40h
    jb Number

cmp byte [si], 41h
    jb Skip

cmp byte [si], 5bh
    jb Letter

cmp byte [si], 61h
    jb Skip

cmp byte [si], 7bh
    jb Letter

inc si ;
    jmp Sort

Number:
    movsb
    jmp Sort

Letter:
    lodsb
    mov [bx], al
    inc bx
    jmp Sort

Skip:
    inc si
    jmp Sort

Done:
    ret

numbers times 10 db 0 ;2 arrays 10 bytes in size
    letters times 10 db 0
    [/code]
    Theres always a better way to do it but this was just off the top of my head. It might give you some ideas though. I haven't checked to see if this code has errors so I don't know for sure if it will work the way it should but I think it will. GoodLuck :-)
    [/green]