Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

GUI based on HTML+CSS

DrostDrost Member Posts: 24
[b][red]This message was edited by Drost at 2005-1-28 7:58:37[/red][/b][hr]
Hi!

Does anyone know about any ongoing projects that aim to create a simplistic GUI system for Python based on HTML+CSS? Relying on and assuming basicly that the OS would have at least one software component which would be able to 'show' such descriptive layouts. Also (at least on Windows I know that) there are ways to use Python as a client side scripting engine for HTML files (functioning like JavaScript).

Yeah I've heard about WAX and Glade and such XML wrappers on major GUIs but I still find them hard-to-learn.

And no, I don't mean Jimmy Retzlaff's "Load data in a web browser without using temp files" approach (which is quite good for its purpose)
at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/347810 .

Drost

Comments

• DrostDrost Member Posts: 24
    And how about utilizing SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) for a platform-independent GUI for Python?

Drost
  • infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : And how about utilizing SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) for a platform-independent GUI for Python?

None of the major browsers support SVG natively (yet). I know Mozilla is working on it and you can get an Adobe plugin for IE, but in my experience the plugin kind of sucks.

I think the major "problem" here is that HTML, CSS, and SVG are all presentation formats, not intended for interactive interfaces. The HTML FORM elements are terribly primitive, and it's only via javascript or DHTML that you get any typical gui functionality from it.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]