Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Connecting Access database in a web site?

khatiekhatie Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
hi..! im a graduating student taking up BSCOE... we have a Design Project which aims to control Appliances in the Internet and also setting its time of switch on/off.

I just wana ask if its possible if to use Access for making database that can store the time schedule for switching the appliances on/off. aside from the time schedule, we will also use access for storing the file for different users like username and password...

i heard that access is only applicable for LAN, is that true? im so confused, the defense of our project is getting near, can any body help me with this! and if that idea is possible, can you give me some tips and ideas regaring this...!

thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    : hi..! im a graduating student taking up BSCOE... we have a Design Project which aims to control Appliances in the Internet and also setting its time of switch on/off.
    :
    : I just wana ask if its possible if to use Access for making database that can store the time schedule for switching the appliances on/off. aside from the time schedule, we will also use access for storing the file for different users like username and password...
    :
    : i heard that access is only applicable for LAN, is that true? im so confused, the defense of our project is getting near, can any body help me with this! and if that idea is possible, can you give me some tips and ideas regaring this...!
    :
    : thank you very much in advance!
    :

While I have not personally used Access for a web-page/site, it is possible. You would need to use either ASP.Net, ASP, or DHTML as the connection between a HTML page and the Access db. Access would not be a best practice, a more robust database like Sql Server or Oracle would be prefered to handle the potential high page hits; however, Access would work for a small site or as a proof of concept.

• khatiekhatie Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    : : hi..! im a graduating student taking up BSCOE... we have a Design Project which aims to control Appliances in the Internet and also setting its time of switch on/off.
    : :
    : : I just wana ask if its possible if to use Access for making database that can store the time schedule for switching the appliances on/off. aside from the time schedule, we will also use access for storing the file for different users like username and password...
    : : i heard that access is only applicable for LAN, is that true? im so confused, the defense of our project is getting near, can any body help me with this! and if that idea is possible, can you give me some tips and ideas regaring this...!
    : : thank you very much in advance!
    :
    : While I have not personally used Access for a web-page/site, it is possible. You would need to use either ASP.Net, ASP, or DHTML as the connection between a HTML page and the Access db. Access would not be a best practice, a more robust database like Sql Server or Oracle would be prefered to handle the potential high page hits; however, Access would work for a small site or as a proof of concept.
    :
    :

thank you dokken2! my project would only handle a small size database, were just considering the system requirements if we will use the sql server! what particular engine do i have to use if i will use asp? is jet engine 4.0 can handle this? thnx again!!!
  • dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    : : : hi..! im a graduating student taking up BSCOE... we have a Design Project which aims to control Appliances in the Internet and also setting its time of switch on/off.
    : : :
    : : : I just wana ask if its possible if to use Access for making database that can store the time schedule for switching the appliances on/off. aside from the time schedule, we will also use access for storing the file for different users like username and password...
    : : : i heard that access is only applicable for LAN, is that true? im so confused, the defense of our project is getting near, can any body help me with this! and if that idea is possible, can you give me some tips and ideas regaring this...!
    : : : thank you very much in advance!
    : : While I have not personally used Access for a web-page/site, it is possible. You would need to use either ASP.Net, ASP, or DHTML as the connection between a HTML page and the Access db. Access would not be a best practice, a more robust database like Sql Server or Oracle would be prefered to handle the potential high page hits; however, Access would work for a small site or as a proof of concept.
    :
    : thank you dokken2! my project would only handle a small size database, were just considering the system requirements if we will use the sql server! what particular engine do i have to use if i will use asp? is jet engine 4.0 can handle this? thnx again!!!
    :

can use jet 3.5 or 4.0
  • khatiekhatie Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    : : : : hi..! im a graduating student taking up BSCOE... we have a Design Project which aims to control Appliances in the Internet and also setting its time of switch on/off.
    : : : :
    : : : : I just wana ask if its possible if to use Access for making database that can store the time schedule for switching the appliances on/off. aside from the time schedule, we will also use access for storing the file for different users like username and password...
    : : : : i heard that access is only applicable for LAN, is that true? im so confused, the defense of our project is getting near, can any body help me with this! and if that idea is possible, can you give me some tips and ideas regaring this...!
    : : : : thank you very much in advance!
    : : : While I have not personally used Access for a web-page/site, it is possible. You would need to use either ASP.Net, ASP, or DHTML as the connection between a HTML page and the Access db. Access would not be a best practice, a more robust database like Sql Server or Oracle would be prefered to handle the potential high page hits; however, Access would work for a small site or as a proof of concept.
    : : thank you dokken2! my project would only handle a small size database, were just considering the system requirements if we will use the sql server! what particular engine do i have to use if i will use asp? is jet engine 4.0 can handle this? thnx again!!!
    :
    : can use jet 3.5 or 4.0
    :
    tnx again dokken2..!!!!