Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

linking java front end to oracle database

cherry1cherry1 Posts: 19Member
hi!
i want to create the front end to my oracle8 database in java. suppose i have a form with text boxes, i want to insert values in my database tables so that the values in text boxes becomes a new row in table and so on and so forth.
can anyone point me in the right direction, so im able to figure out how to do this?

Comments

• dehadedehade Posts: 31Member
    : hi!
    : i want to create the front end to my oracle8 database in java. suppose i have a form with text boxes, i want to insert values in my database tables so that the values in text boxes becomes a new row in table and so on and so forth.
    : can anyone point me in the right direction, so im able to figure out how to do this?
    :

Take a look at JDBC. It allows you to connect to database and query and mutate tables via SQL statements. See http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/ for more information
  • cherry1cherry1 Posts: 19Member
    hi!
    i googled up a storm and managed to write this, the code below compiles with out error but on running it gives:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    [code]
    public static void main (String args[]) throws SQLException
    {
    try
    {

Class.forName ("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
    String url = "jdbc:odbc:[email protected]:1521:[b]orcl[/b]";
    Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection (url, "scott", "tiger");
    Statement stmet = conn.createStatement();
    ResultSet rst = stmet.executeQuery ("select ename from emp");
    while (rst.next())
    System.out.println (rst.getString(1));
    }
    catch (Exception err)
    {
    System.out.println ("Error: " + err);
    }
    }
    [/code]
    ok, this is how much i know:
    1- when creating a connection using the thin driver, i need this URL:
    jdbc:oracle:thin@[database server address]:[port number]:[SID number]
    2- from googling i found i can use this-> jdbc:oracle:thin@[b]localhost:1521[/b]:SID
    but no amount of googling is telling me what SID to use if im using oracle8. plz help.
    ok, so non-stop googling told me that i can find the SID in the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files
    in these files....the [b]SID is orcl[/b]....which i have been using in the above code. so now i dont know y my program wont run.

am i using the wrong kind of driver?

am i opening the connection the wrong way?

is there some problem with 'data source'?

ps.the emp table is already created once oracle is installed on system

• arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    Is the Oracle DB registered in the ODBC data source applet? (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources in WinXP)

I would use a Java driver if possible; check your DB documentation for the jars/driver name/etc you need.

---------------------------------
    [size=1]HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

: Is the Oracle DB registered in the ODBC data source applet? (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources in WinXP)
    :
    : I would use a Java driver if possible; check your DB documentation for the jars/driver name/etc you need.
    :
    : ---------------------------------

*sits down and cries*
    i dont know how to register it as ODBC data source (although i did try to do it, yesterday). can u plz tell me how to do it? im using oracle 8 (not oracle 8i).
    and plz explain vat u mean by using 'java driver'.
  • arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    ODBC is a Windows service that allows a common way to register data sources. You'll have to check your Oracle doc to see how to register it. JDBC is a standard way of accessing RDBMSs using Java. The driver you're trying to use is a bridge between these two systems. However, you should be able to cut ODBC out of the equation using a driver supplied by your DB vendor (Oracle).

I use DB2 with settings like the following:
    [code]
    Driver: com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver
    Jars on the classpath: db2jcc.jar;db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar
    URI: jdbc:db2://localhost:50000/DBNAME
    [/code]

You'll have to find equivalents for Oracle. I'd try the Oracle website; they're bound to have developer forums where you'll find answers to your questions.

---------------------------------
    [size=1]HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]