C++ equivalents of Java things

I'm learning C++, having mostly programmed in Java.
I want to know what similar constructs C++ has for:

1. Vector (ie java.util.Vector)
In particular, I'm looking for a linear data structure which can be variable in length. I'm not concerned about heterogeneous elements, at least for the moment. I'm hoping I don't have to create and manage my own linked list.

2. packages
What is used to organize files into their respective groups?
e.g. I might have a package called plants, which contains the packages tree, grass, and flower, which, respectively contain Oak.java, Fescue.java and Daisy.java

3. structs vs classes
In Java, I might create a class, let's go with Oak, which has members:
int age;
int numberOfAcorns;
boolean hasLeaves;

In C++, I can do the same, or I can use a struct.
Why would I choose on or the other?

Comments

• : I'm learning C++, having mostly programmed in Java.
    : I want to know what similar constructs C++ has for:
    :
    : 1. Vector (ie java.util.Vector)
    : In particular, I'm looking for a linear data structure which can be variable in length. I'm not concerned about heterogeneous elements, at least for the moment. I'm hoping I don't have to create and manage my own linked list.

[blue]C++ has [italic]vector[/italic] containers as well as many other types of dynamically sizable containers (list, deque, queue, stack) that are a part of the STL (Standard Template Library).[/blue]

:
    : 2. packages
    : What is used to organize files into their respective groups?
    : e.g. I might have a package called plants, which contains the packages tree, grass, and flower, which, respectively contain Oak.java, Fescue.java and Daisy.java

[blue]Sounds like your describing the property of object inheritance that would be handled via the use of classes in C++.[/blue]

[code]class plant
    {
    };

class tree : public plant
    {
    };

class grass : public plant
    {
    };

class flower : public plant
    {
    };

// etc...[/code]

:
    : 3. structs vs classes
    : In Java, I might create a class, let's go with Oak, which has members:
    : int age;
    : int numberOfAcorns;
    : boolean hasLeaves;
    :
    : In C++, I can do the same, or I can use a struct.
    : Why would I choose on or the other?
    :

[blue]Yes, you can do the same in C++. Using the inheritance property I discussed above, some of the members would belong to the base class while the more specific members unique to the type of grass/flower/tree we were dealing with would be members of the derived class.

[code]class plant
    {
    int age; // Age is common to all plants so it would likely be a member of the base class
    public:
    void setAge(int value) { age = value; }
    };

class tree : public plant // A tree is a type of plant
    {
    // Member variables/functions(methods) specific to a tree
    };

class oak : public tree // An oak is a type of tree which is a type of plant
    {
    int numberOfAcorns;
    public:
    void setNumberOfAcorns(int value) { numberOfAcorns = value; }
    };

oak myoak; // Create an instance of an oak
    myoak.setNumberOfAcorns(100); // Give "myoak" 100 acorns
    myoak.setAge(246); // Make "myoak" 246 years old[/code]

A C++ [italic]struct[/italic] and a C++ [italic]class[/italic] are exactly the same except for the default member access which is public in a [italic]struct[/italic] and private in a [italic]class[/italic].[/blue]
  • : [blue]Sounds like your describing the property of object inheritance that would be handled via the use of classes in C++.[/blue]
    I can see how you would come to this conclusion, but what I'm talking about is different. I'm talking about filesystem structure as opposed to class structure. Yes, I would construct the classes as you have suggested, but this is not the structure of the filesystem.

[blue]: A C++ [italic]struct[/italic] and a C++ [italic]class[/italic] are exactly the same except for the default member access which is public in a [italic]struct[/italic] and private in a [italic]class[/italic].[/blue]
    I think there a more differences than that. Afaik, you cannot instantiate a struct. I could be wrong, though.
  • : : [blue]Sounds like your describing the property of object inheritance that would be handled via the use of classes in C++.[/blue]
    : I can see how you would come to this conclusion, but what I'm talking about is different. I'm talking about filesystem structure as opposed to class structure. Yes, I would construct the classes as you have suggested, but this is not the structure of the filesystem.

[green]Ok, I don't know Java so I was just guessing, maybe someone else could help with that question.[/green]

:
    : [blue]: A C++ [italic]struct[/italic] and a C++ [italic]class[/italic] are exactly the same except for the default member access which is public in a [italic]struct[/italic] and private in a [italic]class[/italic].[/blue]
    : I think there a more differences than that. Afaik, you cannot instantiate a struct. I could be wrong, though.
    :

[green]You can instantiate a struct just as easily as a class. A struct can also have member functions and constructors/destructors just like a class, as an example:

[code]struct person
    {
    int age;
    string fname;
    string lname;
    // Constructor for type "person"
    person( string first = "John", string last = "Doe", int yrs = 30 )
    {
    fname = first;
    lname = last;
    age = yrs;
    }
    };

// Instantiate objects of type person
    person person1("Bob","Smith",20); // Create a person "Bob Smith, age 20"
    person person2; // Default person "John Doe, age 30"[/code][/green]
  • : I think there a more differences than that. Afaik, you cannot instantiate a struct. I could be wrong, though.
    :

you are incorrect. You can instantiate structs -- its done all the time. They can do everything that a c++ class can do
    [code]
    struct base_struct
    {
    public:
    base_struct() {this->m_x = this->m_y = 0;}
    int getX() {return this->m_x;}
    int getY() {return this->m_y;}
    void setX(int x) {this->m_x = x;}
    void setY(int y) {this->m_y = y;}
    private:
    int m_x;
    int m_y;

};

struct inheited_struct : public base_struct
    {
    int z;
    };
    [/code]

• : : : [blue]Sounds like your describing the property of object inheritance that would be handled via the use of classes in C++.[/blue]
    : : I can see how you would come to this conclusion, but what I'm talking about is different. I'm talking about filesystem structure as opposed to class structure. Yes, I would construct the classes as you have suggested, but this is not the structure of the filesystem.
    :
    : [green]Ok, I don't know Java so I was just guessing, maybe someone else could help with that question.[/green]
    :

I believe the C/C++ equivalent concept to Java package is a lib - ie. several functions/classes bundled together and usable by other programs.