Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

removing specific character from lots of filenames

Tim3000Tim3000 Posts: 21Member
[b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:56:12[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:38:8[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 12:58:26[/red][/b][hr]
HI ,

I was trying to create an aplication that removes an specific character from a lot of diffent files in one map. but its not so easy as I thought it should be... perhaps someone from here know how to do it.. I try this using Delphi 2005 to make this clear

FOLDERindex1.html
FOLDERorder1.html
FOLDERmainpage1.html
FOLDERpage1.html

So lets say from these filenames it should automaticly delete the character 1 so after I have run my aplication all the files have now same file name EXEPT the character 1

FOLDERindex.html
FOLDERorder.html
FOLDERmainpage.html
FOLDERpage.html

so it needs to do it automaticly and I can't name the NEW filenames in my code cause then my aplication would be useless ..I have an feeling that Renamefile function can't do this.. any ideas please? Thank you !

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 12:58:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : HI ,
    :
    : I was trying to create an aplication that removes an specific character from a lot of diffent files in one map. but its not so easy as I thought it should be... perhaps someone from here know how to do it.. I try this using Delphi 2005 to make this clear
    :
    : FOLDERindex1.html
    : FOLDERorder1.html
    : FOLDERmainpage1.html
    : FOLDERpage1.html
    :
    : So lets say from these filenames it should automaticly delete the character 1
    :
    : so it needs to do it automaticly and I can't name the NEW filenames in my code cause then my aplication would be useless ..I have an feeling that Renamefile function can't do this.. any ideas please? Thank you !
    :
    :
    You can use the FindFirst(), FindNext(), and FindClose() procedure to iterate through all the files in a directory. Because each for the files are basically text files, I would use a TStrings object to store the file's contents and StringReplace() to remove the characters.

• Tim3000Tim3000 Posts: 21Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:26:29[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:24:58[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 12:58:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : HI ,
    : :
    : : I was trying to create an aplication that removes an specific character from a lot of diffent files in one map. but its not so easy as I thought it should be... perhaps someone from here know how to do it.. I try this using Delphi 2005 to make this clear
    : : FOLDERindex1.html
    : : FOLDERorder1.html
    : : FOLDERmainpage1.html
    : : FOLDERpage1.html
    : : So lets say from these filenames it should automaticly delete the character 1
    : : so it needs to do it automaticly and I can't name the NEW filenames in my code cause then my aplication would be useless ..I have an feeling that Renamefile function can't do this.. any ideas please? Thank you !
    : You can use the FindFirst(), FindNext(), and FindClose() procedure to iterate through all the files in a directory. Because each for the files are basically text files, I would use a TStrings object to store the file's contents and StringReplace() to remove the characters.
    :
    :
    Thank you for replying ,

but with StringReplace function isn't that for replacing characters that are stored in the file? ,I need an function to delete an specific character of the Filenames .

• jamesb800jamesb800 Posts: 105Member
    : : You can use the FindFirst(), FindNext(), and FindClose() procedure to iterate through all the files in a directory. Because each for the files are basically text files, I would use a TStrings object to store the file's contents and StringReplace() to remove the characters.
    : Thank you for replying ,
    :
    : but with StringReplace function isn't that for replacing characters that are stored in the file? ,I need an function to delete an specific character of the Filenames .

You can use this....
    [code]
    if FileExists('test.txt') then
    RenameFile('test.txt','test1.txt');
    [/code]

James
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:26:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:24:58[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 12:58:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : HI ,
    : : :
    : : : I was trying to create an aplication that removes an specific character from a lot of diffent files in one map. but its not so easy as I thought it should be... perhaps someone from here know how to do it.. I try this using Delphi 2005 to make this clear
    : : : FOLDERindex1.html
    : : : FOLDERorder1.html
    : : : FOLDERmainpage1.html
    : : : FOLDERpage1.html
    : : : So lets say from these filenames it should automaticly delete the character 1
    : : : so it needs to do it automaticly and I can't name the NEW filenames in my code cause then my aplication would be useless ..I have an feeling that Renamefile function can't do this.. any ideas please? Thank you !
    : : You can use the FindFirst(), FindNext(), and FindClose() procedure to iterate through all the files in a directory. Because each for the files are basically text files, I would use a TStrings object to store the file's contents and StringReplace() to remove the characters.
    : Thank you for replying ,
    :
    : but with StringReplace function isn't that for replacing characters that are stored in the file? ,I need an function to delete an specific character of the Filenames .
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Then you should use the FindXXXX() procedures and a TStrings object to make a list of all the files within the folder. After you have such a list, you can use RenameFile() within a for-do loop to perform the renaming. StringReplace() can be used to remove the characters. Here is a pseudocode as a starting point:
    [code]
    if FindFirst() = 0 then repeat
    Add filename to stringlist
    until FindNext()
    FindClose();
    for i := 0 to stringlist.Count-1 do
    RenameFile(stringlist[i], StringReplace());
    [/code]
  • Tim3000Tim3000 Posts: 21Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:26:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 13:24:58[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by Tim3000 at 2005-7-11 12:58:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : HI ,
    : : : :
    : : : : I was trying to create an aplication that removes an specific character from a lot of diffent files in one map. but its not so easy as I thought it should be... perhaps someone from here know how to do it.. I try this using Delphi 2005 to make this clear
    : : : : FOLDERindex1.html
    : : : : FOLDERorder1.html
    : : : : FOLDERmainpage1.html
    : : : : FOLDERpage1.html
    : : : : So lets say from these filenames it should automaticly delete the character 1
    : : : : so it needs to do it automaticly and I can't name the NEW filenames in my code cause then my aplication would be useless ..I have an feeling that Renamefile function can't do this.. any ideas please? Thank you !
    : : : You can use the FindFirst(), FindNext(), and FindClose() procedure to iterate through all the files in a directory. Because each for the files are basically text files, I would use a TStrings object to store the file's contents and StringReplace() to remove the characters.
    : : Thank you for replying ,
    : : but with StringReplace function isn't that for replacing characters that are stored in the file? ,I need an function to delete an specific character of the Filenames .
    : Then you should use the FindXXXX() procedures and a TStrings object to make a list of all the files within the folder. After you have such a list, you can use RenameFile() within a for-do loop to perform the renaming. StringReplace() can be used to remove the characters. Here is a pseudocode as a starting point:
    : [code]
    : if FindFirst() = 0 then repeat
    : Add filename to stringlist
    : until FindNext()
    : FindClose();
    : for i := 0 to stringlist.Count-1 do
    : RenameFile(stringlist[i], StringReplace());
    : [/code]
    :

Thanks a lot this helps :) now I can do it probably