Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Finding amounts that adds up to another amount

aEvaaEva Posts: 1Member

I have a target amount, and a list of amounts. One of the amounts in the list or a sum of amounts from the list, 2,3 or more of the amount can match the target amount. How do you suggest that I search for a match?

Comments

• CyGuyCyGuy Posts: 312Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by CyGuy at 2005-9-26 19:17:54[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by CyGuy at 2005-9-19 5:26:11[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : I have a target amount, and a list of amounts. One of the amounts in the list or a sum of amounts from the list, 2,3 or more of the amount can match the target amount. How do you suggest that I search for a match?
    :
    try using a subroutine/function... or modular algorithm
  • Lazarus404Lazarus404 Posts: 15Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Lazarus404 at 2005-10-6 2:10:33[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by CyGuy at 2005-9-26 19:17:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by CyGuy at 2005-9-19 5:26:11[/red][/b][hr]
    : :
    : : I have a target amount, and a list of amounts. One of the amounts in the list or a sum of amounts from the list, 2,3 or more of the amount can match the target amount. How do you suggest that I search for a match?

Work on a loop. First, match 2 numbers going from item 1 with each respective item, then item 2 etc through all numbers, then try 3 an 4 etc... You could do this with bits, like this

int value = 10;
    int list() = {5, 7, 3, 2, 9, 4, 4};
    const int bits() = {1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64}; //Same number of bit values as items in the list.
    for (int counter = 0; counter<=127; counter++) // should probably find out what the total number is for all bits in a function
    {
    int numItems = 0;
    int total = 0;
    for (int i=0; i<bits.length; i++)
    {
    if (bits[i] & counter == bits[i])
    {
    total += list[i];
    numItems++;
    }
    }
    if (total = value)
    {
    break;
    }
    }
    int newList(numItems);
    int item = 0;
    for (int i=0; i<bits.length; i++)
    {
    if (bits[i] & counter == bits[i])
    {
    newList[item] = list[i];
    item++;
    }
    }

// newList should now contain all the items necessary to make up your new value.