Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how to validate range of hex,binary,octal or decimal numbers?

VashudevVashudev Posts: 28Member
Hi everybody!
I am needing to validate the numbers entered by the user. The user enters number in either of the four formats namely hex,binary,octal or decimal. I need to validate the numbers such that if the user enters a hex number other than 0 to 7FFFFFFF my if statement should be able to validate that and prompt the user again to enter the number in range. In the same way if a binary number is entered other than
0 to 1111111111111111111111111111111(31 1's) or an octal number other than 0 to 17777777777, again my if statement or any other mechanism should be able to validate and output a warning message about out of range number and prompt the user to enter that number in question again. I just can't start thinking in some direction...please help.
Thanks in advance.
vashudev chandra

Comments

• arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    See methods like [b]Integer.parseInt(String val, int radix)[/b] and [b]Integer.toString(int val, int radix)[/b].

---------------------------------
    [size=1](Its just my sig)
    HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

• VashudevVashudev Posts: 28Member
    Hi!
    Thanks for yoru previous reply but it is not the problem in converting the number. I need to know the mechanism of compare. Say a user enters 177777 in hex format...now i need to make sure that the hex number entered is in the range 0 to 17777777777(10 7's) and I also need to make sure that the number is not a negative or >17777777777.
    Converting from one format to another is not a problem at all for me.
    I am reading the input by user in something like this str.readLine();
    Now I want to pass the str to a function which will basically validate if a particular number format is in particular range and specification or not.
    Thanks again!
    Vahudev

See methods like [b]Integer.parseInt(String val, int radix)[/b] and [b]Integer.toString(int val, int radix)[/b].
    :
    : ---------------------------------
    : [size=1](Its just my sig)
    : HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]
    :
    :

• arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    : Hi!
    : Thanks for yoru previous reply but it is not the problem in converting the number. I need to know the mechanism of compare. Say a user enters 177777 in hex format...now i need to make sure that the hex number entered is in the range 0 to 17777777777(10 7's) and I also need to make sure that the number is not a negative or >17777777777.
    : Converting from one format to another is not a problem at all for me.
    : I am reading the input by user in something like this str.readLine();
    : Now I want to pass the str to a function which will basically validate if a particular number format is in particular range and specification or not.
    : Thanks again!
    : Vahudev

Use the functions I mentioned to convert to a numeric format (int or long). Then compare that number to your range. This is much simpler than attempting to do it using chars.

[code]
    String value = "1F";

final long min = 0x0;
    final long max = 0xFF;

long n = Long.parseLong(value, 16);

boolean ok = (n >= min) && (n <= max);
    System.out.println(ok);
    [/code]

---------------------------------
    [size=1](Its just my sig)
    HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

• VashudevVashudev Posts: 28Member
    Hello there!
    Thanks a lot for your help. The last reply by you was very very helpful...I don't know how many hours I would have lost by trying to look that up myself...it works. EUREKA! I am new at java and I have strong feelings for it. This is my life, my future. So please keep your helping hand extended to me. I appreciate everybody at Programmers Heaven.com. I will be posting more questions and please keep replying as you always do.
    Thanks
    Vasudev

: : Hi!
    : : Thanks for yoru previous reply but it is not the problem in converting the number. I need to know the mechanism of compare. Say a user enters 177777 in hex format...now i need to make sure that the hex number entered is in the range 0 to 17777777777(10 7's) and I also need to make sure that the number is not a negative or >17777777777.
    : : Converting from one format to another is not a problem at all for me.
    : : I am reading the input by user in something like this str.readLine();
    : : Now I want to pass the str to a function which will basically validate if a particular number format is in particular range and specification or not.
    : : Thanks again!
    : : Vahudev
    :
    : Use the functions I mentioned to convert to a numeric format (int or long). Then compare that number to your range. This is much simpler than attempting to do it using chars.
    :
    : [code]
    : String value = "1F";
    :
    : final long min = 0x0;
    : final long max = 0xFF;
    :
    : long n = Long.parseLong(value, 16);
    :
    : boolean ok = (n >= min) && (n <= max);
    : System.out.println(ok);
    : [/code]
    :
    : ---------------------------------
    : [size=1](Its just my sig)
    : HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]
    :
    :