including header files.

Can someone give me the procedure for including user defined header files. Kind of has me stumped and can't find any decent tutorials on it.

Comments

• : Can someone give me the procedure for including user defined header files. Kind of has me stumped and can't find any decent tutorials on it.
    :

why do you need a tutorial to write just a single line of code?????
    [code]
    #include "myheader.h"
    [/code]
  • : : Can someone give me the procedure for including user defined header files. Kind of has me stumped and can't find any decent tutorials on it.
    : :
    :
    : why do you need a tutorial to write just a single line of code?????
    : [code]
    : #include "myheader.h"
    : ...
    : [/code]
    :

Stober, I think you got him wrong. I belive that he's asking about splitting a program into various files using header files.
    I don't know any good tutorial about this on the net (try googling) but any worthful C/C++ book has to have a chapter about this.

Homero C. de Almeida

[italic]There's no dishonour in failure. For we aren't allowed to know wheter we'll achieve success or not. There is only one final shame, the cowardice of not trying.[/italic]

• Yea, I mean how to split up the file into implemenation file and header file. I'm reading my c++ book now and theres not much on it. But I have messed around a little bit and learned #include is just like entering the entire contents of that entire file where ever you put it.

This is what I did, which I do not think it's correct but it works below:

main program: program2.cpp

#include
    using namespace std;
    #include "LinkedList.cpp"
    int main(){//Code here

implementation file: LinkedList.cpp

#include "LinkedList.h"
    //Code here for Functions of LinkedList

Specification file: LinkedList.h
    //Code here for the Class LinkedList.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-2-19 9:41:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : Yea, I mean how to split up the file into implemenation file and header file. I'm reading my c++ book now and theres not much on it. But I have messed around a little bit and learned #include is just like entering the entire contents of that entire file where ever you put it.
    :
    : This is what I did, which I do not think it's correct but it works below:
    :
    : main program: program2.cpp
    :
    : #include
    : using namespace std;
    : #include "LinkedList.cpp"
    : int main(){//Code here
    :
    :
    : implementation file: LinkedList.cpp
    :
    : #include "LinkedList.h"
    : //Code here for Functions of LinkedList
    :
    :
    : Specification file: LinkedList.h
    : //Code here for the Class LinkedList.
    :

[blue]Never include one *.cpp or *.c file in another -- include only *.h files. If you split the program into two or more source files then compile each sorce file separately and link the object files together along with libraries it uses. Modern-day compilers have projects that will do most of that work for you -- depends on the compiler you are using. If you are using command-line compiler and makefile then you need to make manual changes to the makefile.[/blue]

[code]
    : main program: program2.cpp
    :
    #include
    using namespace std;
    #include "LinkedList.h"
    int main(){//Code here

//
    //
    // LinkedList.cpp
    #include
    using namespace std;
    #include "LinkedList.h"
    // linked list code here
    /

[/code]

Program2.cpp and LinkedList.cpp are compiled separately, then the object files are linked together with other librarys. Notice that there is a LinkedList.h that is included in both *.cpp files -- it contains structure declarations and function prototypes, no code unless inline.

• Well, I'm using Dev-C++ at the moment, The code I supplied works becuase it is just like putting the contents of the #include file into my code. I guess Dev-C++ is not compiling the LinkedList.cpp file first and linking object files. It is just compling program2.cpp. Eventually I will have to use a makefile on Unix but was using dev-c++ first.
  • : Well, I'm using Dev-C++ at the moment, The code I supplied works becuase it is just like putting the contents of the #include file into my code. I guess Dev-C++ is not compiling the LinkedList.cpp file first and linking object files. It is just compling program2.cpp. Eventually I will have to use a makefile on Unix but was using dev-c++ first.
    :

use Dev-C++ menu Project-->Add To Project, and click on LinkedList.cpp.