Is Java 5 compeletly different to Java 1.4?

Hi

i heard Java 5 is quite different to Java 1.4 versions, Is this true?

At the moment i got books for Java 1.4, which is by deitel publications. and the compilor i have installed is Java 5, If i learn Java 1.4 (cus i got no books for java 5) how much of upgrade i have to do to make my self get to Java 5?

2. Is it okay to code Java 1.4 using Java 5 compilor?

cheers

Comments

• : i heard Java 5 is quite different to Java 1.4 versions, Is this true?
    :

Java 5 (aka Java 1.5) supports all the Java 1.4 features. You can use your current books to learn Java. The Java 5 features can be safely ignored until you're ready to learn them.

---------------------------------
    [size=1](Its just my sig)
    HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

• Java 1.5, also called Java 5 has a number of improvements over 1.4.

Not just the API has changed but the language itself.

Java now supports generics to make the language stronger typed and easier to prevent runtime problems like CastExceptions.

Java supports different kinds of for loops to iterate through collections more easily. This includes lists, arrays, sets...

There are also a lot of new classes added to the API. A few important ones are for thread synchronization. Condition and Lock can be quite useful for multithreaded software.

Those are the changes I can think of.

: Hi
    :
    : i heard Java 5 is quite different to Java 1.4 versions, Is this true?
    :
    : 1.
    : At the moment i got books for Java 1.4, which is by deitel publications. and the compilor i have installed is Java 5, If i learn Java 1.4 (cus i got no books for java 5) how much of upgrade i have to do to make my self get to Java 5?
    :
    : 2. Is it okay to code Java 1.4 using Java 5 compilor?
    :
    : cheers
    :
    :
    :
    :