Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Which Visual C++ should i study?

kevanwoodcockkevanwoodcock Member Posts: 172
I am confused and could use some advice. I am an experienced C programmer and Win32 API user. I have studied C++ console projects only but never used c++ in a project. Now i would like to write some nice windows code. I have decided to study C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standard. However, when ever i google visual C++ tutor i find tutors for MFC, console/dos, win32 API , Windows Forms and c++ 6 (i think). So what should i study? I have DEVCPP and Visual c++ 2005 express.

any advice?

cheers
kev

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : I am confused and could use some advice. I am an experienced C programmer and Win32 API user. I have studied C++ console projects only but never used c++ in a project. Now i would like to write some nice windows code. I have decided to study C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standard. However, when ever i google visual C++ tutor i find tutors for MFC, console/dos, win32 API , Windows Forms and c++ 6 (i think). So what should i study? I have DEVCPP and Visual c++ 2005 express.
    :
    : any advice?
    :
    : cheers
    : kev
    :
    :

>> C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standar

Only for writing MS-Windows programs

You should be using Visual C++ 2005 if you want to learn c++ as well as MS-Windows programming. You can still get the Express edition free from Microsoft. Other versions will cost you lots of $$$$. If money is not a problem for you, them buy Visual Studio .NET Professional edition (it contains c++, C#, VB and some other tools)

• kevanwoodcockkevanwoodcock Member Posts: 172
    : : I am confused and could use some advice. I am an experienced C programmer and Win32 API user. I have studied C++ console projects only but never used c++ in a project. Now i would like to write some nice windows code. I have decided to study C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standard. However, when ever i google visual C++ tutor i find tutors for MFC, console/dos, win32 API , Windows Forms and c++ 6 (i think). So what should i study? I have DEVCPP and Visual c++ 2005 express.
    : :
    : : any advice?
    : : cheers
    : : kev
    :
    :
    : >> C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standar
    :
    : Only for writing MS-Windows programs
    :
    : You should be using Visual C++ 2005 if you want to learn c++ as well as MS-Windows programming. You can still get the Express edition free from Microsoft. Other versions will cost you lots of $$$$. If money is not a problem for you, them buy Visual Studio .NET Professional edition (it contains c++, C#, VB and some other tools)
    :
    :
    hi
    I have C++ Visual Studio express 2005. My problem is i need to know how to program windows in some way other than my present methods of WIN 32 API using C. I have googled visual C++ tutor and i only get MFC or API. I do get VC++ 5 but it references MFC. So does this mean that i should learn MFC and then use my DOS C++ knowledge to create programmes? Would that be Visual C++ programming?

cheers
    kev

• bluj91bluj91 Member Posts: 133
    : : : I am confused and could use some advice. I am an experienced C programmer and Win32 API user. I have studied C++ console projects only but never used c++ in a project. Now i would like to write some nice windows code. I have decided to study C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standard. However, when ever i google visual C++ tutor i find tutors for MFC, console/dos, win32 API , Windows Forms and c++ 6 (i think). So what should i study? I have DEVCPP and Visual c++ 2005 express.
    : : :
    : : : any advice?
    : : : cheers
    : : : kev
    : : >> C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standar
    : : Only for writing MS-Windows programs
    : : You should be using Visual C++ 2005 if you want to learn c++ as well as MS-Windows programming. You can still get the Express edition free from Microsoft. Other versions will cost you lots of $$$$. If money is not a problem for you, them buy Visual Studio .NET Professional edition (it contains c++, C#, VB and some other tools)
    : hi
    : I have C++ Visual Studio express 2005. My problem is i need to know how to program windows in some way other than my present methods of WIN 32 API using C. I have googled visual C++ tutor and i only get MFC or API. I do get VC++ 5 but it references MFC. So does this mean that i should learn MFC and then use my DOS C++ knowledge to create programmes? Would that be Visual C++ programming?
    :
    : cheers
    : kev
    :
    :
    :

bad thing about Microsft Visual C++ Express is it doesn't support MFC's and its a very big download. and also remember that visual C++ express was released to promote .NET framework. So maybe you look at that.
    : : : : I am confused and could use some advice. I am an experienced C programmer and Win32 API user. I have studied C++ console projects only but never used c++ in a project. Now i would like to write some nice windows code. I have decided to study C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standard. However, when ever i google visual C++ tutor i find tutors for MFC, console/dos, win32 API , Windows Forms and c++ 6 (i think). So what should i study? I have DEVCPP and Visual c++ 2005 express.
    : : : :
    : : : : any advice?
    : : : : cheers
    : : : : kev
    : : : >> C++ visual because it seems to be a good industry standar
    : : : Only for writing MS-Windows programs
    : : : You should be using Visual C++ 2005 if you want to learn c++ as well as MS-Windows programming. You can still get the Express edition free from Microsoft. Other versions will cost you lots of $$$$. If money is not a problem for you, them buy Visual Studio .NET Professional edition (it contains c++, C#, VB and some other tools)
    : : hi
    : : I have C++ Visual Studio express 2005. My problem is i need to know how to program windows in some way other than my present methods of WIN 32 API using C. I have googled visual C++ tutor and i only get MFC or API. I do get VC++ 5 but it references MFC. So does this mean that i should learn MFC and then use my DOS C++ knowledge to create programmes? Would that be Visual C++ programming?
    : : cheers
    : : kev
    :
    : bad thing about Microsft Visual C++ Express is it doesn't support MFC's and its a very big download. and also remember that visual C++ express was released to promote .NET framework. So maybe you look at that.
    :

Thanks

I guess there are so many options for programming languages these days. I found it easy to find online tutors for C and DOS C++ but nothing turns up for visual c++ except for MFC. Hence my confusion. I thought that Visual C++ would be its own language. I expected to google Visual c++ and find on line tutors just like i have for C and c++ DOS. But i cannot find anything except for MFC. That is why i thought Visual C++ is MFC.? Im still confused. How do I learn Visual C++? What should I study?

kind regards
    kev

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

The above is a tutorial for writing win32 api programs. Microsoft has several tutorials about MFC (search for Scribble Tutorial), but the tutorials are targeted for VC++ 6.0 compiler. You cannot access MFC with the Express edition of VC++ 2005 -- you will have to either get VC++ 6.0 (not recommended) or BUY an edition of VC++ 2005 that supports MFC.

There are a few console c++ and C functions that are unusable in win32 programs -- iostream such as cin and cout are two.
    : http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
    :
    : The above is a tutorial for writing win32 api programs. Microsoft has several tutorials about MFC (search for Scribble Tutorial), but the tutorials are targeted for VC++ 6.0 compiler. You cannot access MFC with the Express edition of VC++ 2005 -- you will have to either get VC++ 6.0 (not recommended) or BUY an edition of VC++ 2005 that supports MFC.
    :
    : There are a few console c++ and C functions that are unusable in win32 programs -- iostream such as cin and cout are two.
    :

NOW IT MAKES SOME SENSE.

Thanks. So if i wish to learn VC++ i need to purchase a compiler. Perhaps that is why there isnt any free online tutors. I have done that WIN 32 API course you linked too. Its very good. So i will look for a free VC++ compiler, if i cannot find one what would be a good alternative language for programming user interfaces? perhaps c#?

kev