textbox value

[b][red]This message was edited by curtw at 2006-9-23 23:21:50[/red][/b][hr]
I am new to Visual Basic and I know what I want to do, but do not know how to achieve it. I would like to know if I can set a restriction on a textbox where its value cannot be negative. For instance, like a checking account where the balance cannot be negative.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-9-24 0:33:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am new to Visual Basic and I know what I want to do, but do not know how to achieve it. I would like to know if I can set a restriction on a textbox where its value cannot be negative. For instance, like a checking account where the balance cannot be negative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

[code]
    Private Sub Text1_Change()
    If Val(Text1) < 0.01 Then Text1 = "0.00"
    End Sub
    [/code]

You can't enter a negative number with the above code. ;-) :-)
    [b][blue]
    I've just discovered that once the textbox is "0.00" you have to
    use the arrow keys to get past the decimal point to enter anything between 0.01 and 1.00
    [/blue][/b]

Regards,

Dr M.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-9-24 0:33:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I am new to Visual Basic and I know what I want to do, but do not know how to achieve it. I would like to know if I can set a restriction on a textbox where its value cannot be negative. For instance, like a checking account where the balance cannot be negative.
    :
    : -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    : Hi,
    :
    : [code]
    : Private Sub Text1_Change()
    : If Val(Text1) < 0.01 Then Text1 = "0.00"
    : End Sub
    : [/code]
    :
    : You can't enter a negative number with the above code. ;-) :-)
    : [b][blue]
    : I've just discovered that once the textbox is "0.00" you have to
    : use the arrow keys to get past the decimal point to enter anything between 0.01 and 1.00
    : [/blue][/b]
    :
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Dr M.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    you may be better using the lostfocus event, that way editting the textbox is not weird - and use the Sgn (sign) and Abs (absolute value) funcs. to force and negative number to be positive.

[code]
    Private Sub Text1_LostFocus()
    If IsNumeric(Me.Text1.Text) Then
    If Sgn(Me.Text1.Text) = -1 Then Me.Text1.Text = Abs(Me.Text1.Text)
    End If
    End Sub
    [/code]