System freezes after program end.

Hi gang!

I've been working on a program for some time now without any massive problems, but now I'm facing an odd problem. The problem occured after I added a simple FOR ... TO ... DO statement to a procedure in one of my units. The program compiles and runs without any problems, but as soon as I exit the program, Borland Pascal closes and I get an "Illegal operation" Window in Win95. If I remove this simple FOR/TO/DO statement, no problem. I tried running the compiled exe in pure DOS - the same thing happens, except the program just freezes when I exit it. Actually, it doesn't even return to the MS-DOS prompt - the last screen displayed while running the program just remains frozen on screen.

I really can't figure out why this suddenly happens just because I add a simple FOR/TO/DO statement which only uses a single Byte variable. I've tried increasing the memory sizes, but that didn't change anything.

Does anybody have an idea what this problem could be caused by?

Comments

• : Hi gang!
    :
    : I've been working on a program for some time now without any massive problems, but now I'm facing an odd problem. The problem occured after I added a simple FOR ... TO ... DO statement to a procedure in one of my units. The program compiles and runs without any problems, but as soon as I exit the program, Borland Pascal closes and I get an "Illegal operation" Window in Win95. If I remove this simple FOR/TO/DO statement, no problem. I tried running the compiled exe in pure DOS - the same thing happens, except the program just freezes when I exit it. Actually, it doesn't even return to the MS-DOS prompt - the last screen displayed while running the program just remains frozen on screen.
    :
    : I really can't figure out why this suddenly happens just because I add a simple FOR/TO/DO statement which only uses a single Byte variable. I've tried increasing the memory sizes, but that didn't change anything.
    :
    : Does anybody have an idea what this problem could be caused by?
    :
    Without seeing the loop, my guess is probably an uninitialized pointer or a memory overflow.
  • : Without seeing the loop, my guess is probably an uninitialized pointer or a memory overflow.
    :

Yeah, that's the feeling I've had too. However, I believe all my pointers are initialized and disposed of properly. Also, if that was the problem, why would it only occur now, after I've added a FOR loop?

Wouldn't a memory overflow cause an error message when running the program from within Borland Pascal's IDE?

I'll try to go through my code with a fine comb. Maybe I've overlooked something...

Thanks for the reply! :)
  • : Yeah, that's the feeling I've had too. However, I believe all my pointers are initialized and disposed of properly. Also, if that was the problem, why would it only occur now, after I've added a FOR loop?
    :
    : Wouldn't a memory overflow cause an error message when running the program from within Borland Pascal's IDE?
    :
    : I'll try to go through my code with a fine comb. Maybe I've overlooked something...
    :
    : Thanks for the reply! :)

Yep, I overlooked something, as usual. I was using a [X]^[Y] pointer array, which I thought was zero based, but it was 1 based, so when I accessed 0,0 the program freezed when ending.