Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Using Data Wizard vs Manual (provider) Connections

jbassmanpjbassmanp Posts: 160Member
I have used both methods of connecting database to my projects and until recently would never have doubted the smoothness of the wizards work and ease of coding a program. Until recently, I and now starting to work on network version of the apps. It appears that I may have been better off manually doing the connections or at the very least mixing to two together. Anyone out there with any comments on these. I will be going into some detail specs. later.

Comments

• HackmanCHackmanC Posts: 441Member
    I use the approach of DataAccess, BusinnessRules, and Application, with this concept DataAccess is a series of Components which has only the DataAdapter configured with the stored procedures, without SqlConnection, BusinessRules has a SqlConnection which passthru to each DataAccess, so you can make a lot of DataAccess updates with only one transaction and, of course, can chech BusinessRules.

The Application that consumes the BusinessRules creates the DataSet and passes it to BusinessRules, BusinessRules updates a dataset which can be a lot of tables, calling the corresponding DataAccess.

Example:

Project DataSet
    -- DataSet001
    This dataset has two tables. (Table001, Table002).

Project DataAccess
    -- DataAccess001
    This has a DataAdapter for stored procedures for Table001 with a DataSset001 received from the Application.
    -- DataAccess002
    This has a DataAdapter for stored procedures for Table002...

Project BusinessRules
    -- BussinessRules001
    This has a SqlConnection and calls DataAccess001 and DataAccess002 with a DataSet001 received from the Application.

Project Application
    Form001
    Calls BusinessRules001 with a DataSet001

So, you can reuse any component, project, etc, in other applications, etc. for the DataAccess Components you still can use the Wizard and delete the SqlConnection after build.
    -----

: I have used both methods of connecting database to my projects and until recently would never have doubted the smoothness of the wizards work and ease of coding a program. Until recently, I and now starting to work on network version of the apps. It appears that I may have been better off manually doing the connections or at the very least mixing to two together. Anyone out there with any comments on these. I will be going into some detail specs. later.
    :
    :

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]