Identifying typed URLs

Hi,

I need to write a programme that logs all URL that are typed in a browser (IE or Firefox). What would be the easiest way of doing this? The programme is a background service which will respond when specific URLs are entered.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• : Hi,
    :
    : I need to write a programme that logs all URL that are typed in a browser (IE or Firefox). What would be the easiest way of doing this? The programme is a background service which will respond when specific URLs are entered.
    :
    : Thanks in advance!
    :

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are making spyware, so I'm not going to help you, and I ask everyone else to ignore this thread as well.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by saridski at 2007-1-31 1:38:56[/red][/b][hr]
    I better make my request clear so that it is not misunderstood.

This programme is NOT spyware. When the user types in a URL, the agent (a system tray util, installed by the user) reads the URL and sends it to a server that searches for specific details concerning the sites terms and conditions. If the URL exists/is indexed in the database, the agent pops up with specific information regarding the identified terms and conditions.

I would appreciate you asking what the purpose of the software was before making such assumptions, as it really puts me and my future posts in a bad light. I have been contributing to this list (Perl) for years and as you will be able to see, I most certainly have only the most benign intentions in mind, this post being no exception.

Thanks in advance.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by saridski at 2007-1-31 1:38:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : I better make my request clear so that it is not misunderstood.
    :
    : This programme is NOT spyware. When the user types in a URL, the agent (a system tray util, installed by the user) reads the URL and sends it to a server that searches for specific details concerning the sites terms and conditions. If the URL exists/is indexed in the database, the agent pops up with specific information regarding the identified terms and conditions.
    :
    : I would appreciate you asking what the purpose of the software was before making such assumptions, as it really puts me and my future posts in a bad light. I have been contributing to this list (Perl) for years and as you will be able to see, I most certainly have only the most benign intentions in mind, this post being no exception.
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    :

No matter your intentions, answering the question would tell others how to make spyware. It involves attaching your program to the webprocesser process etc.

Perhaps you could make an alternative approach which would be less questionable and also easier to implement: tell the user to copy the address he has typed to the clipboard, then let your program scan the clipboard and connect to the server in the background.

• :
    : No matter your intentions, answering the question would tell others how to make spyware. It involves attaching your program to the webprocesser process etc.
    :
    : Perhaps you could make an alternative approach which would be less questionable and also easier to implement: tell the user to copy the address he has typed to the clipboard, then let your program scan the clipboard and connect to the server in the background.
    :
    :

Another aproach would be to implement a nameserver lookup program that blocks all bad urls. Another aproach would be to implement the ip service, and make it block all bad urls...