Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

BC 4.5 linker error on an old program

Hello, Borlan C++ experts,
I am luckily playing an old application based on Borland C++ 3.1. My boss wanted me to make it run on Borland C++ 4.5 or higher version. I fixed the compiling errors, but got this error at link stage:
"...
Linker Warning: Possible reference to undefined extern Object::ZERO in module mysource.cpp
Linker Error: Too many error or warning messages.
"
mysource.cpp ( heaps of similiar source files) was working fine for around 18 years, it has no reference to Object::ZERO stuff, I don't know what Object::ZERO is.
Any help?
Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    No idea... can you post the code where the compiler error occurs?

It is most likely something related to the C++ standard. BC31 uses a very old and very obsolete version of C++, since several major revisions of the standard has been done since BC31 was made, the main one ANSI/ISO 1998. People developing new C++ programs on compilers made before 1998 are asking for trouble. For Borland folks, this means get rid of everything before BC5.5, because everything before then follows the C++ standard [italic]somewhat[/italic], but there might be issues with STL, obsolete header syntax and such.

My advise is to get a new Borland compiler. 5.83 is available for free as command line compiler, as well as a whole, fully useable freeware RAD tool.
  • bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : Hello, Borlan C++ experts,
    : I am luckily playing an old application based on Borland C++ 3.1. My
    : boss wanted me to make it run on Borland C++ 4.5 or higher version.
    : I fixed the compiling errors, but got this error at link stage:
    : "...
    : Linker Warning: Possible reference to undefined extern Object::ZERO
    : in module mysource.cpp
    : ...
    : Linker Error: Too many error or warning messages.
    : "
    : mysource.cpp ( heaps of similiar source files) was working fine for
    : around 18 years, it has no reference to Object::ZERO stuff, I don't
    : know what Object::ZERO is.
    : Any help?
    : Thanks,
    : Charlie
    :
    Are you sure you've added 'mysource.cpp' to your project by selecting 'Project | Add to project' ?
    bilderbikkel