USB and DOS

Is it possible to use a USB keyboard with a DOS machine. I'm thinking the answer is "No."

I have three machines hooked up to a KVM switch. There is a modern Dell running XP, a Mac running Panther and an old DIY machine running DOS 6.22. Switching between the Dell and the Mac is not problem but the DOS machine does not see the keyboard. I tried a USB to PS-2 adapter but no luck. I have to switch keyboards to use the DOS machine. I'm thinking that installing a USB card would not work because there would be no driver available for DOS. If anyone has any info to the contrary please let me know and I'll make the investment.

Comments

• : Is it possible to use a USB keyboard with a DOS machine. I'm
    : thinking the answer is "No."
    :
    The answer is yes, but only if the BIOS supports it. Go into setup and see if there are settings for legacy mode USB or something to that effect. there will likely be a settings for both keyboard and mouse.

Essentially what this does is force the BIOS to do the interpretation of USB devices and shoves the data to the old keyboard/mouse ports where DOS based software is looking for keypresses.

-jeff!