Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Ideal language for game development?

Does anyone know of a good programming language to use for game development? A fast and efficient programming language like C++ seems ideal, but I am concerned about the steep learning curve that I will have to endure. I have also heard of people using Delphi or VB, but I have also heard that those languages have atrocious performance compared to C++. What should I use?

Comments

• : Does anyone know of a good programming language to use for game development? A fast and efficient programming language like C++ seems ideal, but I am concerned about the steep learning curve that I will have to endure. I have also heard of people using Delphi or VB, but I have also heard that those languages have atrocious performance compared to C++. What should I use?

Game programming starts on paper, not the compiler. Design every aspect of your game and building a game using *any* platform will be easy.

C/C++ is the most popular game programming language. It probably wins for most support and the fact that it is a standard. It also produces good code.

-Xotor-

• You might think that VB is going to be a world easier, but, in fact, i found that C++ code is just a little more complex than VB. The only thing you need to consider is really just the time. Quality over Quanity--if you take your time to make a game and learn C++, then your game will reflect that. However, if you just learn a quick lang. like VB and then rush into it, then your game will likely reflect that, too. Like Xotor said, C++ is the standard and there's a good reason for it, if VB was the ideal lang. it'd probly be the standard.

: : Does anyone know of a good programming language to use for game development? A fast and efficient programming language like C++ seems ideal, but I am concerned about the steep learning curve that I will have to endure. I have also heard of people using Delphi or VB, but I have also heard that those languages have atrocious performance compared to C++. What should I use?

:

: Game programming starts on paper, not the compiler. Design every aspect of your game and building a game using *any* platform will be easy.

:

: C/C++ is the most popular game programming language. It probably wins for most support and the fact that it is a standard. It also produces good code.

:

: -Xotor-

:

• Hi. You might want to check this out. I'm in a similar boat, though I've been messing around the edges of programming since the Commodore 64 days, first with assembly and then with C, I'm interested in learning an object-oriented language and have pretty much targeted C++ as what I'm going to need to learn. But this discussion helped solidify my thoughts. http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

It's a good, general discussion of the pros and cons of the most popular compilers used today. Slider

: Does anyone know of a good programming language to use for game development? A fast and efficient programming language like C++ seems ideal, but I am concerned about the steep learning curve that I will have to endure. I have also heard of people using Delphi or VB, but I have also heard that those languages have atrocious performance compared to C++. What should I use?

: