Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What is most fun c/c++ programming?

Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
What is the most fun kinds of projects you could do in c or c++?

What kind of project have you done or imagine would give a great educational experience in working on?

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444
    Define "fun". entertaining? educational? challenging? Are you looking for projects for yourself to do or is this just a general question?

• Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    : Define "fun". entertaining? educational? challenging? Are you
    : looking for projects for yourself to do or is this just a general
    : question?
    :

I mean a combination of entertaining and educational.

What kind of projects do you enjoy doing the most?

Which kinds of projects would you want to work on?

This isn't really for me in particular. It is for anyone wanting to learn how to program with c or c++.
    I want some ideas so I can pass them along to other people who are starting to program and others who have been programming for some time but want extra practice.
  • Malcolm_McLeanMalcolm_McLean Member Posts: 254 ✭✭
    : This isn't really for me in particular. It is for anyone wanting to
    : learn how to program with c or c++.
    : I want some ideas so I can pass them along to other people who are
    : starting to program and others who have been programming for some
    : time but want extra practice.
    :
    Games are the answer. A lot of programming courses focus on database-type problems involving salaries and employees. They are totally unrealistic as you would store employee data in a real database, and use a graphical user interface. Moreover, the idea is boring.

Most games do require some graphical output, so they are not for rank beginners. Actually it is getting more and more difficult to get simple graphics out of modern PCs, which was partly why I wrote BASICdraw (see my website). However once you've worked out how to display a raster of characters / pixels, and dynamically update it, your imagination is the only limit.

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444

: What kind of projects do you enjoy doing the most?
    : Which kinds of projects would you want to work on?

Games and system software. Games because of their challenge, contains graphical output, and a way to learn and study new technologies. System software for the challenge and educational value.

: This isn't really for me in particular. It is for anyone wanting to
    : learn how to program with c or c++.
    : I want some ideas so I can pass them along to other people who are
    : starting to program and others who have been programming for some
    : time but want extra practice.

If they are starting to learn programming then I would probably focus more on the entertainment software. ie; mabey text games or even video games if possible. It would be educational and challenging as well. Dont have them making large games as they will never be complete. Rather just simple games that they can also play afterwords ;)