AMD vs INTEL

Hi !!!

I am the x86 coder and i know nothing about AMD processors. Are they differ a lot form INTEL ? What's better (pII or amd-k6 3dnow!) ? I heard integral calculation are very weak on AMD.

If you know something about it - tell me ! Thank you.

Comments

• : Hi !!!

: I am the x86 coder and i know nothing about AMD processors. Are they differ a lot form INTEL ? What's better (pII or amd-k6 3dnow!) ? I heard integral calculation are very weak on AMD.

: If you know something about it - tell me ! Thank you.

:

AMDs are x86's.

Everything is the same unless you go REAL low level, and at that point processors change from model to model, you don't even need to bother going to a different brand.

Right now, AMDs are in the lead speed-wise.

I personally use an AMD, and if I were to get a new processor right now, it would probably be an AMD.

Overall, IMHO AMD and Intel are neck-to-neck right now.

Though, also IMHO, I think Intel's 64-bit Itanium is going to kick AMD's Sledgehammer's butt on overall performance, that's just me, and that doesn't really matter right now.

I heard something about something a while back, but really AMDs are generally about equal to Pentium's overall. Also, 3DNow is more geared toward 3D math, which doesn't really use too much integer arithmatic.

Price-wise AMDs are usually less expensive.

To sum up, anything that will run on an Intel processor will run on an AMD processor.