Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Serious problems using 'DrawText'...

Seems 'DrawText' is looking for a type of variable that doesn't exist. I have spent the last four hours reading through help files trying to figure this out and I can only conclude that one of my header files may be messed up.

case WM_PAINT:
{
PAINTSTRUCT ps;
HDC pDC = BeginPaint(cbWnd, &ps);
RECT paintrect;
GetClientRect(pDC, &paintrect);
DrawText(pDC, buffer, strlen(buffer), paintrect, DT_EDITCONTROL | DT_NOPREFIX);
}

Now when I compile, I get this error message:

"Cannot convert tagRECT to tagRECT *"

There is no such variable/structure listed in ANY of my help files, so I am lost if there is such a thing. How can I get around or solve this problem? I need to use 'DrawText' in both printing operations and window operations, but until I can create or find this variable/structure type, I have to stop all work on my project. Thanks for any help I get in advance.

-Seph

Comments

• My help files didn't tell me that 'DrawText' required a pointer to the rectangle, so I was just using the rectangle variable. I just tried it on a whim and it works fine. I think I need my head examined; too much time programming and not enough real life, lol!

-Seph

• : My help files didn't tell me that 'DrawText' required a pointer to the rectangle, so I was just using the rectangle variable. I just tried it on a whim and it works fine. I think I need my head examined; too much time programming and not enough real life, lol!
    :
    : -Seph
    :

When you see * in C or C++, then it's bound to signify a pointer :-)

• That's just it, there's no '*' in the help file, lol! I have found several things in my help files that were wrong, such as "Zeromemory" instead of "ZeroMemory". I think Borland contracted to do them...