Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Chld window creation?

How do I create a child window? This problem has plagued me for some time now and I would like to figure it out. Would I have to do a whole seperate WinMain routine and register another class, or would I somehow place it in my resource file along with my dialog boxes? All I want is to create a chile window with either no border or a sunken border, no title, and no menu inside my main window. I want it maximized so that it fills the whole client area of my main/parent window. If I have to do this via my resource script like I do my dialog boxes, I think I know how to place objects (listboxes, comboboxes, editboxes, etc) in the new child window, but how would I make it show up and start maximized? Thanks to any and all who reply.

-Seph

Comments

• : How do I create a child window? This problem has plagued me for some time now and I would like to figure it out. Would I have to do a whole seperate WinMain routine and register another class, or would I somehow place it in my resource file along with my dialog boxes? All I want is to create a chile window with either no border or a sunken border, no title, and no menu inside my main window. I want it maximized so that it fills the whole client area of my main/parent window. If I have to do this via my resource script like I do my dialog boxes, I think I know how to place objects (listboxes, comboboxes, editboxes, etc) in the new child window, but how would I make it show up and start maximized? Thanks to any and all who reply.
    :
    : -Seph
    :

You're asking different things. It is not easy to give a concrete answer.

In principle we can say there are to kind of child windows: 1) standard windows like buttons, comboboxes, edit, etc (so as to say, that you can create in a dialog in the resource file) and 2) the rest like rebars, toolbars, statusbars, etc. that you create at run-time.

I suggest you to get theForger's tutorial for a nice introduction to the subject. I don't know it by hard but you can find a link to it in my pages (follow hyperlink below).

Hope this helps.

Chemanuel

URL:http://www.geocities.com/josempadron/

• Thanks a million for that link! I wanted to both what you stated. I would like a child window that's confined to the owner, AND I want it to have some buttons and stuff like in my Dialog Boxes. That tutorial is answering them in a way that I understand. I pasted an example out of my Borland help files, and it was nothing but errors, and it even pulled a HINSTANCE variable out of thin air! Those help files are NOT very helpful... hehe. If you want me to put your name in the credits for helping me over this HUGE stepping stone (uh, boulder!), just email me your name and i'll put it in, as well as send you a copy of the program when it is done, if you would like. Thanks again!

-Seph