Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

XING media player

Hi,
I have technical doubt and after a lot of trying I am not able to get a solution. I have a requirement of making a mpeg player of a better resolution than the existing Windows Media player.
I have seen the MCI offered my the WIN32 SDK but I had a doubt if I it is possible to make a media player better then windows who made the SDK. I mean better in resolution and occupying full screen.
It is not that I have to use the Win32 , any suggestions are most welcome. I searched on directly accessing the Video Ram by using the DirectDraw API but wanted to confirm if it can be better than the existing technology of windows? Is it that the mpeg decoder they wrote is of a better quality?
eg XING media player has a better quality than the Windows media player? How do they do it? Do they use the SDK?
Please guide
Thanks
Khosla

Comments

• hello khosla

as far as i know, windows media player have nothing to do with video quality or resolution. these are managed by video codecs called "direct show filters" installed in ur system. u can check what u have by the Multimedia applet in control panel, devices and then check video compression codecs.

when u play a movie in media player, the active filter will be loaded and passed the mpeg data for decompression. there are tons of options and settings (eg do u want to decompress the audio as well, resolution, color depth etc) i suggest u download the directshow sdk from microsoft ms site and read the doc files, its not trivial but its the way to go.

i havent checked, but there might be a newsgroup for that at news.microsoft.com, if theres one, its usually the best for getting help.

: Hi,
    : I have technical doubt and after a lot of trying I am not able to get a solution. I have a requirement of making a mpeg player of a better resolution than the existing Windows Media player.
    : I have seen the MCI offered my the WIN32 SDK but I had a doubt if I it is possible to make a media player better then windows who made the SDK. I mean better in resolution and occupying full screen.
    : It is not that I have to use the Win32 , any suggestions are most welcome. I searched on directly accessing the Video Ram by using the DirectDraw API but wanted to confirm if it can be better than the existing technology of windows? Is it that the mpeg decoder they wrote is of a better quality?
    : eg XING media player has a better quality than the Windows media player? How do they do it? Do they use the SDK?
    : Please guide
    : Thanks
    : Khosla
    :
    :

• Thank you Sir,
    Your reply was very helpful, I have downloaded the direct show SDK and will start working on it
    Khosla

• Khosla,

u are very welcome.

quick tippie.. start out by doing a simple filter for AVI. for example, get decompressed AVI frames (DIB's), change the colors or whatever. use the graph editor to test ur filter (put it between the MS AVI decoder and the output device) u can learn the interface for a DS filter easy this way without worrying about implementation. also it would be a cool thing to do to have media player plays all ur AVI files upside down :)

much luck

: Thank you Sir,
    : Your reply was very helpful, I have downloaded the direct show SDK and will start working on it
    : Khosla
    :