Getting Started with Games..

Hi all, :)

I've been programming with C++ for a while now (ok, not to long, but long enough to get the basics down) and I'm interested in making a game. Ok, well, I've already made a game, but it was a console app number-guessing game........

So, my qustion(s) is/are this: :)

How would I go about making a graphical game?
Can you suggest any good books to get me started and/or tutrials on the net?

I'm on a Mac, using Codewarrior LE.

Thanks in advance,
Tonatiuh

:)

Comments

• Well, have a look at www.gamedev.net
    Also have a look at the textfiles in this site.

Maybe mode13h is dead and you wouldn't want to start with mode13 but some basics of dos game proggramming is necessary like drawing sprites, collision detection etc. Lots of files for game development around this site and in gamedev.

This won't make sense now - but it will after you start learning how to program games.

: Hi all, :)
    :
    : I've been programming with C++ for a while now (ok, not to long, but long enough to get the basics down) and I'm interested in making a game. Ok, well, I've already made a game, but it was a console app number-guessing game........
    :
    : So, my qustion(s) is/are this: :)
    :
    : How would I go about making a graphical game?
    : Can you suggest any good books to get me started and/or tutrials on the net?
    :
    : I'm on a Mac, using Codewarrior LE.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Tonatiuh
    :
    : :)
    :
    :
    :

• : Well, have a look at www.gamedev.net
    : Also have a look at the textfiles in this site.

Thanks, checked it out, and it's helped quite a bit (telling me which games are best to start out with etc.) but most if not all of the tutorials there are meant to be used with DirectX, and thats a Windows thing.. :)

: Maybe mode13h is dead

model13? :)

:and you wouldn't want to start with mode13

No, probably not.. :)

:but some basics of dos game proggramming is necessary like :drawing sprites, collision detection etc.
    :Lots of files for game
    :development around this site and in gamedev.

Sprites I don't think will be a problem, but collision detection might.. :)

: This won't make sense now - but it will after you start learning how to program games.

Nope, doesn't make much sense now, but I'm sure later.. :)

But, thanks for the reply, it's helped quite a bit (gamedev.com is great :))

Now, I have a few more questions.. :)

I've found many tutorials on the net on how to use DirectX, but none on using Apple's game sprokets, does anyone know where I can find anything on them?

Ok, so maybe it was only one question...

But, thanks again for the reply,

Tonatiuh

• Another idea - When I did a google search on openGL first find was something to do with Apple. Never really saw it but it might help you.

Also if you hate Directx and want openGL stuff just go to http://nehe.gamedev.net

: : Well, have a look at www.gamedev.net
    : : Also have a look at the textfiles in this site.
    :
    : Thanks, checked it out, and it's helped quite a bit (telling me which games are best to start out with etc.) but most if not all of the tutorials there are meant to be used with DirectX, and thats a Windows thing.. :)
    :
    : : Maybe mode13h is dead
    :
    : model13? :)
    :
    : :and you wouldn't want to start with mode13
    :
    : No, probably not.. :)
    :
    : :but some basics of dos game proggramming is necessary like :drawing sprites, collision detection etc.
    : :Lots of files for game
    : :development around this site and in gamedev.
    :
    : Sprites I don't think will be a problem, but collision detection might.. :)
    :
    :
    : : This won't make sense now - but it will after you start learning how to program games.
    :
    : Nope, doesn't make much sense now, but I'm sure later.. :)
    :
    : But, thanks for the reply, it's helped quite a bit (gamedev.com is great :))
    :
    : Now, I have a few more questions.. :)
    :
    : I've found many tutorials on the net on how to use DirectX, but none on using Apple's game sprokets, does anyone know where I can find anything on them?
    :
    : Ok, so maybe it was only one question...
    :
    : But, thanks again for the reply,
    :
    : Tonatiuh
    :
    :

• i never worked on a mac computer
    mode 13h is an old dos trick with your video card - a low resolution 230X200 i think
    don't bother with it
    visit those site :
    www.flipcode.com
    www.neutralzone.org/home/faqsys
    www.grafix3d.tzo.com (this one has moved ... but follow up the link)
    there are lots of resources that might help u
    new games (u are in 2001 year) requires fast and new tehnology video cards that provide lots of hardware functions so read about and use them
    and one last thing : get a real PC ! and install windows if u think of diretctx programming ( i mean game programming)