Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C DOS or C++ Windows?

Hello, world!
This is Dr. COM WIZ again, the 13-year-old QB-DOS C-DOS, and FBasic Macintosh programmer. Someone on the C messageboard once, knowing that I'm a DOS programmer, told me not to waste my itme with DOS or C, but move on to the present era of C++ Windows progamming. When I was 12 years old, I really didn't know what I was doing. So I asked alot of questions until I found a book on C++ programming for Windows. It said,

"Blah, blah, blah.... In other words, you can't learn C++ without learning C first. So, if you haven't, take some time to learn C first before you start C++."
-Teach yourself C++, Second Edition

Those weren't the exact words, but the idea was the same (except the Blah, blah part). I've seen this information posted several places on the internet and have come to believe it. However,
some guy from the C forum told me the very above. I'm not really sure what to do as of now. All I know is: learn more QB and do more DOS!! But is this what I SHOULD be doing?
This has been,
Dr. COM WIZ
PS Thank you and goodnight!

Comments

• Sephiroth2Sephiroth2 Member Posts: 423
    : Hello, world!
    : This is Dr. COM WIZ again, the 13-year-old QB-DOS C-DOS, and FBasic Macintosh programmer. Someone on the C messageboard once, knowing that I'm a DOS programmer, told me not to waste my itme with DOS or C, but move on to the present era of C++ Windows progamming. When I was 12 years old, I really didn't know what I was doing. So I asked alot of questions until I found a book on C++ programming for Windows. It said,
    :
    : "Blah, blah, blah.... In other words, you can't learn C++ without learning C first. So, if you haven't, take some time to learn C first before you start C++."
    : -Teach yourself C++, Second Edition
    :
    : Those weren't the exact words, but the idea was the same (except the Blah, blah part). I've seen this information posted several places on the internet and have come to believe it. However,
    : some guy from the C forum told me the very above. I'm not really sure what to do as of now. All I know is: learn more QB and do more DOS!! But is this what I SHOULD be doing?This has been,
    : Dr. COM WIZ
    : PS Thank you and goodnight!
    :
    Hello Dr. COM WIZ.
    You got to learn C. There's no reason to learn C++ but if you want to you can do that too. The Microsoft Visual C++ includes a help file that explains all about the windows api so you can safely trash your programming book. However, because the parts of the manual were written by different programmers, it will tell you to use the MFC library, but don't do that or you'll be lost. Or at least learn the basics of windows programming first and then you can look at MFC if you wish but I never use it.

- World

• ColdShineColdShine Member Posts: 597
    You should keep in mind (or acknowledge, if you didn't) that you can program at very high levels both using C in Windows or C++ in DOS. The language does not influence the choice of the operating system. Instead, you will need to learn C at a good (medium) level in order to learn C++ and get the best of it out. Programming in C++ (like I do) can be much more attractive than programming in C. Think of C like a powerful Basic, and the C++ as a brand-new way of thinking.
    ________
    [size=1][b][grey]Cold[/grey][blue]Shine[/blue][/b][/size]

• Christinme7890Christinme7890 Member Posts: 6
    : Hello, world!
    : This is Dr. COM WIZ again, the 13-year-old QB-DOS C-DOS, and FBasic Macintosh programmer. Someone on the C messageboard once, knowing that I'm a DOS programmer, told me not to waste my itme with DOS or C, but move on to the present era of C++ Windows progamming. When I was 12 years old, I really didn't know what I was doing. So I asked alot of questions until I found a book on C++ programming for Windows. It said,
    :
    : "Blah, blah, blah.... In other words, you can't learn C++ without learning C first. So, if you haven't, take some time to learn C first before you start C++."
    : -Teach yourself C++, Second Edition
    :
    : Those weren't the exact words, but the idea was the same (except the Blah, blah part). I've seen this information posted several places on the internet and have come to believe it. However,
    : some guy from the C forum told me the very above. I'm not really sure what to do as of now. All I know is: learn more QB and do more DOS!! But is this what I SHOULD be doing?This has been,
    : Dr. COM WIZ
    : PS Thank you and goodnight!
    :
    Not to put down microsoft but programming for a operating system that is not stable is just a waste of time. C++ is good to learn for those that like the high graphical interface but before you learn C++ you should learn C first. Some of the C functions are even of value in C++. Don't underestimate the little. Guy. DOS is not too stable either but it is 75% moer stable than windows. And in DOS it leaves open the oportunity of making most of the code yourself. C++ has alot of code for you and when you use their functions you not positive of what that function is doing.