Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What assemblers do people here use?

dantechrist666dantechrist666 Member Posts: 23
I use nasm, are there any others you prefer? Why do you prefer them?

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    Hey, my friend!
    You just posted it!
    See my response on you question about OR-ing constants...
    The best way to go is TASM, I prefer it much more than MASM.
    NASM actually is not considered superior to any of the above.
    TASM/MASM even have the OOP techology, so you can create classes with a virtual tables. Well, I must say, I never use it - I go with the old stuff: you still can produce the inheritance and polymorphism with just macros, like:

OBJECT_BASE STRUC
    vtblOffset dd ?
    ; --- your data here
    OBJECT_BASE ENDS

OBJECT_DERIVED STRUC
    objBase OBJECT_BASE <?>
    ; --- your additional vars here
    OBJECT_DERIVED ENDS

Of course, to override the methods you must set the pointers into virtual table yourself. No big deal...

Good luck!

• dantechrist666dantechrist666 Member Posts: 23
    : Hey, my friend!
    : You just posted it!
    : See my response on you question about OR-ing constants...
    : The best way to go is TASM, I prefer it much more than MASM.
    : NASM actually is not considered superior to any of the above.
    : TASM/MASM even have the OOP techology, so you can create classes with a virtual tables. Well, I must say, I never use it - I go with the old stuff: you still can produce the inheritance and polymorphism with just macros, like:
    :
    : OBJECT_BASE STRUC
    : vtblOffset dd ?
    : ; --- your data here
    : OBJECT_BASE ENDS
    :
    : OBJECT_DERIVED STRUC
    : objBase OBJECT_BASE <?>
    : ; --- your additional vars here
    : OBJECT_DERIVED ENDS
    :
    : Of course, to override the methods you must set the pointers into virtual table yourself. No big deal...
    :
    :
    : Good luck!
    :
    :

: : Hey, my friend!
    : : You just posted it!
    : : See my response on you question about OR-ing constants...
    : : The best way to go is TASM, I prefer it much more than MASM.
    : : NASM actually is not considered superior to any of the above.
    : : TASM/MASM even have the OOP techology, so you can create classes with a virtual tables. Well, I must say, I never use it - I go with the old stuff: you still can produce the inheritance and polymorphism with just macros, like:
    : :
    : : OBJECT_BASE STRUC
    : : vtblOffset dd ?
    : : ; --- your data here
    : : OBJECT_BASE ENDS
    : : OBJECT_DERIVED STRUC
    : : objBase OBJECT_BASE <?>
    : : ; --- your additional vars here
    : : OBJECT_DERIVED ENDS
    : : Of course, to override the methods you must set the pointers into virtual table yourself. No big deal...
    : : Good luck!
    :
    :
    Hrm... guess I should include text in my replies. I only use nasm because one day I decided to learn assembler, it seemed better than basic or c++. I did a web search, found it and some decent docs and an assembler, all free, and dove right in. It seemed like a nice, simple assembler. Where can I find tasm? is it free? for unix or linux?

• Basya LantiBasya Lanti Member Posts: 50
    [red][b]Hi guys,

Seeing you request Dantechris666, I will give my comment on that!
    I have to agree with the first comments from AsmGuru62 earlier about using Tasm instead of Nasm.
    Nasm problably is a nice assembler but I think it doesn't supports the smart features that can be used in both Tasm5.0 and Masm6.x to do assembly programming to the fullest.
    To my knolledge there are two superior Assemblers available at the moment, "Borland TASM5.0 & Microsoft MASM6.x".
    And from what I've read and seen, maybe also A86 (Assembler x86).
    But if you honestly want to know, I choose Borland Tasm5.0 because it is one hundred percent fully compatible with Masm6.x and it has some more smart features build in.
    E.g. - It supports even Windows API programming.
    So therefore I think Tasm5.0 probably is one if not the most advanced assembler ever made on the PC.

(Borland didn't pay me to write this, I expirienced TASM myself)!
    To answer your 2th request: No, these assemblers are not for free !!
    Borland "TASM" (Turbo assembler) and Microsoft "MASM" (Macro assembler) are both commercial products.
    You can buy these products either on-line or you may want to get 'em from a local dealer shop / distributer near you.

A tip !!:
    Some assembly language books includes these fine assemblers on cd or floppy when you buy it.
    The disclaimer / publisher of these books allready had made some so called written gentlemen agreements with the the disclaimers of these assemblers.
    So you can have it all for friendly prises!
    I don't know on which books there are cd's or floppy disks included, I guess you'll have to find out that one for yourself.

Yours,

:-) Basya Lanti :-)

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    You can download TASM5 at 'http://egoiste.cjb.net'.

Since I'm doing unix/linux assembler programming, I doubt I'll need windows api built in. I also doubt those books have unix/linux versions of those assemblers, and nasm also comes free with unix/linux. Plus, at the moment, this is purely a hobby, which I don't want to spend money on (see fsf.org).

: You can download TASM5 at 'http://egoiste.cjb.net'.
    :
    :
    [red][b]Nice to know in case there will be eventually new releases presented..
    Thanx for the adress !!

:-) Basya Lanti :-)[/b][/red]

: Since I'm doing unix/linux assembler programming, I doubt I'll need windows api built in. I also doubt those books have unix/linux versions of those assemblers, and nasm also comes free with unix/linux. Plus, at the moment, this is purely a hobby, which I don't want to spend money on (see fsf.org).
    :
    [red][b]Ok, that's fair enouf!
    A couple of years ago at my old job I also had something to do with unix (SUN) network systems but I'm not sure if there are any books with assembler programming language software available for the unix platforms.
    but unless you go out seek and ask for this you'll never know.
    But anyway, good luck - I hope it all works out just fine for you.

Yours,

:-) Basya Lanti :-)

• OverflowOverflow Member Posts: 12
    i'm posting the best ever ASSEMBLY compiler u can every c
    it's based on TASM, it's very user firendly and u'll enjoy assembly using it.

http://www.gahwa.net/TASM

it was developed by some students from my university, the American Uni. In Cairo!

Cheers!

: i'm posting the best ever ASSEMBLY compiler u can every c
    : it's based on TASM, it's very user firendly and u'll enjoy assembly using it.
    :
    : http://www.gahwa.net/TASM
    :
    : it was developed by some students from my university, the American Uni. In Cairo!
    :
    : Cheers!
    :
    [red][b]I'll check it out.
    Thanx !!

:-) Basya Lanti :-)[/red][/b]