Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Memory Problems in Dos C++ Game

97256449725644 Member Posts: 32
I have written a RayCasting Engine in pure C++, and have a few other programs that play wav files and Midi files, however when I try an compine all the programs to have a full game with sound effects and background music it doesn't work right.

I think that this is a problem with memory allocation. Does a Dos program have a max size? I think it does, so I tried using far pointers to overcome it. I heard that is how the programmed Wolfenstine. It still doesn't work right. If I load the textures first then the sound files, sone of the sounds are wierd, and if I load the sounds first then the textures, some of the textures are wierd.

Does any one know how I can overcome this?

Thanks
Ciaran

Comments

• AlienripperAlienripper Member Posts: 133
    What compiler are you using ?
    Try DJGPP and you won't have memoey problems anymore..

• 97256449725644 Member Posts: 32
    : What compiler are you using ?
    : Try DJGPP and you won't have memoey problems anymore..
    :

I'm using Borland V5.02. Its what Im used to have have always used it while at college. I have heard great things about DJGPP, and think that I may use it, but every time I try and download it I get download errors and get fed up and stop. Might do it again sometime. Is it easy to install and use? Would it be easy to transfer my Borland Code to run on DJGPP.

Thanks
    Giant

• AlienripperAlienripper Member Posts: 133
    : : What compiler are you using ?
    : : Try DJGPP and you won't have memoey problems anymore..
    : :
    :
    :
    : I'm using Borland V5.02. Its what Im used to have have always used it while at college. I have heard great things about DJGPP, and think that I may use it, but every time I try and download it I get download errors and get fed up and stop. Might do it again sometime. Is it easy to install and use? Would it be easy to transfer my Borland Code to run on DJGPP.
    :
    : Thanks
    : Giant
    :

Yep, it's easy to use and once you get the necessary files downloaded from www.delorie.com there won't be any problems installing it. If you decide to start using DJGPP I advice you to download RHIDE and Allegro too..