Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Kernal panic? Install problems.

postulatepostulate Member Posts: 6
I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
Right after it says it's starting to install it says:

"kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing"

Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Seems like a no hardware support problem. Can you describe your hardware completely. Do you have any very new hardware ?

: I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    : Right after it says it's starting to install it says:
    :
    : "kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    : In interrupt handler - not syncing"
    :
    : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    :

• postulatepostulate Member Posts: 6
    : Seems like a no hardware support problem. Can you describe your hardware completely. Do you have any very new hardware ?
    :
    :
    : : I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    : : Right after it says it's starting to install it says:
    : :
    : : "kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    : : In interrupt handler - not syncing"
    : : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    :
    :
    My cd-rom is an OTI-975 SOCRATES.
    My display adapter is a SiS 530.
    My hard disk controller is an SiS 5513 dual PCI IDE controller.
    My modem, which I don't use, is a HSP56 Micromodem.
    I have a DAVICOM fast ethernet based adapter.
    My sound, I think, is a CMI8338/C3DX PCI audio legacy device
    I have one of the AMD K62 processors if that helps. If there is any more info that would help you out, let me know. I don't know that much about my hardware.

• ryanryan Member Posts: 43

First off, what distro are you trying to install?
    Since you get completely through the whole setup w. out error, and only on install you recieve one makes me think it could possibly be the cd's from which you are installing from. My suggestion is to get other copies of your distro or from the retailer themselves. Then try it. If you have the same errors then it will most likely be hardware.

: I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    :
    :
    : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    :

:
    : First off, what distro are you trying to install?
    : Since you get completely through the whole setup w. out error, and only on install you recieve one makes me think it could possibly be the cd's from which you are installing from. My suggestion is to get other copies of your distro or from the retailer themselves. Then try it. If you have the same errors then it will most likely be hardware.
    :
    :
    : : I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    : : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    :
    :
    I'm trying to install redhat. The cds I burned myself, and they are perfect. I have a feeling that it's my hard drive it can't read. Right after it trys to read it, it always freezes. Do I need to make a partition that is 500mbs? Someone told me that it keeps failing because my hard drive is too big, it's a 10gig. Is that possible?

: : First off, what distro are you trying to install?
    : : Since you get completely through the whole setup w. out error, and only on install you recieve one makes me think it could possibly be the cd's from which you are installing from. My suggestion is to get other copies of your distro or from the retailer themselves. Then try it. If you have the same errors then it will most likely be hardware.
    : : : I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    : : : Right after it says it's starting to install it says:
    : : :
    : : : "kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    : : : In interrupt handler - not syncing"
    : : : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    : I'm trying to install redhat. The cds I burned myself, and they are perfect. I have a feeling that it's my hard drive it can't read. Right after it trys to read it, it always freezes. Do I need to make a partition that is 500mbs? Someone told me that it keeps failing because my hard drive is too big, it's a 10gig. Is that possible?
    :
    :

Actually I don't get through setup either. It starts to try and run the install, but then it:

partition check:
    hda:<1>unable to handle kernal paging request at virtual address

it also says "...pmd not present!"
    I don't know what this means.

• weiccoweicco Member Posts: 950
    : : First off, what distro are you trying to install?
    : : Since you get completely through the whole setup w. out error, and only on install you recieve one makes me think it could possibly be the cd's from which you are installing from. My suggestion is to get other copies of your distro or from the retailer themselves. Then try it. If you have the same errors then it will most likely be hardware.
    : : : I've been attempting to install linux 7.1. At the very beginning when it gives me the prompt "boot:" I press [ENTER] to go on with the normal installation(I've also tried expert.)
    : : : Right after it says it's starting to install it says:
    : : : "kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    : : : In interrupt handler - not syncing"
    : : : Then it freezes. I have win98, 450hz, 128mram, and I'm trying to do a duel OS. But I could careless about win, so if I can get linux up and running then it will help. Is there anything I can try that might solve this problem? I've talked to a bunch of people but no one had a clue.
    : I'm trying to install redhat. The cds I burned myself, and they are perfect. I have a feeling that it's my hard drive it can't read. Right after it trys to read it, it always freezes. Do I need to make a partition that is 500mbs? Someone told me that it keeps failing because my hard drive is too big, it's a 10gig. Is that possible?
    :
    :
    I have SuSE Linux 7.0 in 40 Gb hard drive with Win98 and 2K and I'm using approx. 8 Gb space for Linux without any problems. I think only thing in partitioning was that swap can't be too big but I could be wrong (my swap is 120 Mb).

Have you overclocked you pc? Maybe the pci bus is too high.
    Is your BIOS setup in order? Read you motherboard manual about BIOS settings.

Try to use search engines like Google and find out information about your hardware. And try to install that Linux on some other pc if you haven't allready. Then you could try to rip off all hardware and try installation then.

And if I remember correctly there was something with AMD K6-2 and Linux... If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    We were able to install Redhat 6.2 effortlessly on AMD-K6 two and a half years ago, so it shouldn't be a problem.

if you think its the hard disk - 1) Could be the hard disk is too big for linux to handle, make seperate partitions so you could figure that out.

: We were able to install Redhat 6.2 effortlessly on AMD-K6 two and a half years ago, so it shouldn't be a problem.
    :
    : if you think its the hard disk - 1) Could be the hard disk is too big for linux to handle, make seperate partitions so you could figure that out.
    :
    :
    :
    I made seperate partitions, large and small, but it unfortunately give me the same error everytime.

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    ok from what I understand after reading all the thread
    1) you HDD size is not a problem. I'm running Redhat 7.1 on a machine with 2 40GIG HDD's with root partition being 5gigs

2) I spent a month tracking down a problem like this. If I understand right, you crash and burn while copying files? Try changing your RAM. It seems that this is a memory intensive operation and tends to cause kernel panick errors if you drop a bit here and there.

:
    :
    :

Should I take some out, or add some? I'm not sure if I can take some out because I think it's all in strip on the motherboard. And I don't have any money to buy some. When I add the line linux mem=128M, it also crashes.

"kernal panic; aiee, killing interrupt handler!
    In interrupt handler - not syncing
    lost interrupt"

lost interrupt sometimes shows up. but sometimes it freezes before it.

: ok from what I understand after reading all the thread
    : 1) you HDD size is not a problem. I'm running Redhat 7.1 on a machine with 2 40GIG HDD's with root partition being 5gigs
    :
    : 2) I spent a month tracking down a problem like this. If I understand right, you crash and burn while copying files? Try changing your RAM. It seems that this is a memory intensive operation and tends to cause kernel panick errors if you drop a bit here and there.
    :
    :
    :