Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

'at' and 'exclamation' characters are messed

mwronskimwronski Member Posts: 62
About 5 chars on my keyboard are messed up. When I press + (any num 1-5) they supposed to write down exclamation, 'at', number, dollar and percent. But they seem to point to shortcuts most probably found in the registry. When I press them, they either close all windows, maximise all windows or minimise all windows...
Does anyone know how to fix this, because when I need to write down my email, I have to go to Character Map and copy items there. I have been installing a few programs recently so they may be the culprits

Please help

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    never seen this happen before. Do you have any new programs running in your system tray? if so, try closing them and see if the problem still exists, if not, open the taskmanager (ctrl + alt + delete) and see if you have any programs running that shouldn't be there, and try killing them.

you might also want to see if something has been added to the startup folder that could be causing this.

Good luck
    Ben

: About 5 chars on my keyboard are messed up. When I press + (any num 1-5) they supposed to write down exclamation, 'at', number, dollar and percent. But they seem to point to shortcuts most probably found in the registry. When I press them, they either close all windows, maximise all windows or minimise all windows...
    : Does anyone know how to fix this, because when I need to write down my email, I have to go to Character Map and copy items there. I have been installing a few programs recently so they may be the culprits
    :
    : Please help
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    That sounds JUST like the virus my friend had! SHIFT and almost any number would maximize, minimize, close, even shut down windows! We formatted and put on Norton 2001 and sure enough, on one of the files he'd downloaded, there was a virus! Needless to say we just tossed that floppy into the trash. If you can't get your problem fixed, I recommend formatting, reinstalling your core windows drivers, and then installing Norton or McAfee and THEN scan your backed up stuff before you put it back onto your machine. McAfee is more of a pain in the butt to install though, since you have to call the company to get an installation key, then if you hate it and want it uninstalled, you have to call and get another! What a bunch of bs! Go Norton!!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• WayTooHighWayTooHigh Member Posts: 36
    : About 5 chars on my keyboard are messed up.
    : Does anyone know how to fix this

you don't need anti-virus software and you definately dont need to format. go under your Start Menu. click on Run. type msinfo32. Microsoft System Information should come up. in the left pane double click Software Enviroment. then click on System Hooks. look at the programs that come up in the right pane. the Hook Types you should pay extra attention to are: Keyboard hooks, CBT hooks, and GetMessage. these hooks can intercept your keystrokes. find the applications on your harddrive by their Application Path. examine them... look at their properties and version info. see if it was made by a creditable software company. examine everything about them. run them (dont be afraid. they'll already running on your computer, anyway). garwain had it right...

"Do you have any new programs running in your system tray? if so, try closing them and see if the problem still exists, if not, open the taskmanager (ctrl + alt + delete) and see if you have any programs running that shouldn't be there, and try killing them."

"you might also want to see if something has been added to the startup folder that could be causing this. "

take his/her advice.

also try this, go back under your Start Menu. and click on Run. type msconfig. click on the Startup tab. check if the program is here. chances are, it is. if it is, uncheck the box in front of it's name. restart Windows and see if the problem is fixed. if not dont forget to go back and recheck the boxes.

hope this helps solve your problem