Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

diff distros

minionminion Member Posts: 36
This might have been asked before but I was not able to find it. I have used red hat, mandrake, slackware, freebsd, and openbsd. What I would like to know what is the major difference between the different OS's. I know some are more secure and come with different packages. I also know that the kernel is modded differently in each one. BTW: I do know that freebsd and openbsd are not linux. So what actually makes them completely different from each other?

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    In risk of being too general, Unix is Unix whether it's a version of Linux or BSD. They are all derived from the same place.

Each flavor has been modified and enhanced to some extent. Some flavors have different shells available, and utilities have been added or changed to make it more powerful or easier to use depending on the goals of the developers.

Some versions have had GUI's added, some have been designed for GUI's and others still don't include a real GUI.

Linux flavors are focused more towards making a user-friendly OS while BSD systems are IMHO more powerful for servers.

then there came Corel Linux which in my opinion was a piece of $%^&

Hopefully other people will put in their opinions for you as well.
    Ben

: This might have been asked before but I was not able to find it. I have used red hat, mandrake, slackware, freebsd, and openbsd. What I would like to know what is the major difference between the different OS's. I know some are more secure and come with different packages. I also know that the kernel is modded differently in each one. BTW: I do know that freebsd and openbsd are not linux. So what actually makes them completely different from each other?
    :