Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where'd the Recycle Bin go?

mwronskimwronski Member Posts: 62
My system has been getting really messed up lately. One day when I right clicked on the recycle bin on the desktop, it showed a delete menu. I clicked it and it said:
Warning: The recycle bin cannot be stored in the recycle Bin. A re you sure you want to delete it?

I said yes, then it went off my desktop, permanently. I restarted, shut down etc. Nothing works. I'm sure it's something in the registry. Someone please help me!!!

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : My system has been getting really messed up lately. One day when I right clicked on the recycle bin on the desktop, it showed a delete menu. I clicked it and it said:
    : Warning: The recycle bin cannot be stored in the recycle Bin. A re you sure you want to delete it?
    :
    : I said yes, then it went off my desktop, permanently. I restarted, shut down etc. Nothing works. I'm sure it's something in the registry. Someone please help me!!!
    :
    Uh, that should NOT have happened. What you did is DELETE your recycle bin. I just tried it on my machine and it makes that stupid "ding" sound saying I can't delete it. I have NO clue as to how you deleted it, but it isn't your registry. That thing on your desktop is just a shortcut to all of the "Recycled" folders on all of your hard-drives. I'm not sure exactly how you would get that back, since it can't be done, lol. One sure way is to backup your stuff, format, and reinstall, but that's a pain.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• iamthecodeiamthecode Member Posts: 45
    Its a good idea to back up your registry before doing this but if you don't make a mistake, then all should be well.
    In the registry editor go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionexplorerDesktopNameSpace
    Right-click on the NameSpace key and select New, Key. Type exactly

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

and press Enter. (To save yourself some typing, copy the above line to your clipboard, then press Ctrl-V after selecting New, Key.) In the right pane, right-click (Default) and select Modify. In the resulting Edit String dialog box, on the Value Data line, type

Recycle Bin

and click OK. Close the Registry Editor, click the desktop once, press F5 (for refresh), and there's your Recycle Bin icon.

Hope this helps

• WayTooHighWayTooHigh Member Posts: 36
    also to get rid of that delete menu item.

back up your registry, just in case.

in your registry go to:
    [code]HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}ShellFolder[/code]
    change the value of Attributes to 40 01 00 20.

to add a Rename menu item change the value of Attributes to 50 01 00 20.