how to shutdown the x server.

HI,

I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• : HI,
    :
    : I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.
    :

You need to stop xdm - comment it being called in rc.scripts

• : HI,
    :
    : I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.
    :

change the default runlevel to a non-xdm case, restart, do what you need and change it again to the xdm case