Question about COM in ASP

Hey all, quick question. I've been programming in Visual Basic / C for awhile now, and I just got into web programming with ASP/VBScript/JavaScript...

I've read some tutorials about COM objects, DLL's created in C or VB on your web site. I havent tried, or bothered learning it because I do all my sites with remote hosts, and they (the tutorials) all say that I have to register the DLL's with the OS. If thats the case, it doesnt seem likely that I can talk my web host into registering any DLL's I throw together.

Does that sound correct? I'd like to use DLL's with my sites, but I dont want to deal with the presumable hassle of getting my host to register my DLL's. Seems like that also might bring up liability issues hehe :)

-Eric

Comments

• i havent heard of been able to use a dll without registration

this is only in asp.net where you just have to keep your dll in a directory of your pages

but now i dont think that you can run the dll if you dont register it

: Hey all, quick question. I've been programming in Visual Basic / C for awhile now, and I just got into web programming with ASP/VBScript/JavaScript...
    :
    : I've read some tutorials about COM objects, DLL's created in C or VB on your web site. I havent tried, or bothered learning it because I do all my sites with remote hosts, and they (the tutorials) all say that I have to register the DLL's with the OS. If thats the case, it doesnt seem likely that I can talk my web host into registering any DLL's I throw together.
    :
    : Does that sound correct? I'd like to use DLL's with my sites, but I dont want to deal with the presumable hassle of getting my host to register my DLL's. Seems like that also might bring up liability issues hehe :)
    :
    : -Eric
    :