DLL not downloading

Hi,
I have created an ActiveX control and this control calls a DLL file inside it. both of them are packaged inside a CAB file. When i try to call the DLL file, the application stops responding after giving an error message, Error: 48 , .dll not found.
I am currently test signing the CAB file and the DLL does not have any dependency. Any way out of this??? please help
Thanks
Rajiv

Comments

• Hi,

Check your CODEBASE variable and see if it contains the correct values for the DLL location and version info.

Manish.

• Hi,
    Thanks for the response, please have a look over here.

I have this entry for the CLSID and codebase.

"/project1.CAB'> "
    I haven't incorporated the version info for this.
    moreover, i checked the error log and here's the following
    information supplied by it

*** Code Download Log entry (30 Aug 2001 @ 15:15:13) ***
    Code Download Error: (hr = 80040154) Class not registered

Operation failed. Detailed Information:
    CodeBase: http:///project1.CAB
    CLSID: {72E73A5A-9D53-11D5-89CB-008048CAE8E5}
    Extension:
    Type:

WRN: OCX Registration: no DllRegisterServer entry point in (C:WINDOWSDownloaded Program FilesCONFLICT.1compress.dll). Skipping registration. INF Author: mark this section with RegisterServer=No as a performance optimization.

The INF file contains the following entry for the DLL,

[compress.dll]
    file-win32-x86=thiscab
    RegisterServer=no
    DestDir=11
    FileVersion=1,0,0,1

and still, it does not seem to be downloading , :(
    Any clues ????
    regards
    Rajiv

:
    : Hi,
    :
    : Check your CODEBASE variable and see if it contains the correct values for the DLL location and version info.
    :
    :
    :
    : Manish.
    :
    :
    :

• Check these:

1. your CLSID matches.

2. Is there any trouble on the client registering the DLL? Try to use regsvr32 to register your DLL on the machine and then try it again to narrow down the error source.

3. I remember there was something of this regard due to a Microsoft thing - rare chance that this would be your case - but still read on to http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q289/8/21.ASP

4. Post back if the above three don't solve the problem - maybe someone else in this board has a better idea.

Good Luck!

Manish.

• The CLSID mathces,
    the DLL, is not supposed to register, as there are no DllRegisterServer or DllUnegisterServer functions in the DLL. Is that a must? I have seen DLLs used in some other web-applications that do not have a CLSID (or they need to register). One thing might be that i am 'test-signing' the CAB file (through MS Visual InterDev).
    One interesting thing which i noticed in the .INF file was as follows,:

[mycontrol.ocx]
    file-win32-x86=thiscab
    RegisterServer=yes
    clsid={AEBCFF1A-9AD9-11D5-89CB-008048CAE8E5}
    DestDir=
    FileVersion=1,0,0,20

here, the entry corresponding to "DestDir= " is empty ..! I don't understand why this is happening....
    after a few attempts i added DestDir=11 so that the ocx goes to the default windows directory.

Any Clues????
    Thanks,

--Rajiv

:
    : Check these:
    :
    : 1. your CLSID matches.
    :
    : 2. Is there any trouble on the client registering the DLL? Try to use regsvr32 to register your DLL on the machine and then try it again to narrow down the error source.
    :
    : 3. I remember there was something of this regard due to a Microsoft thing - rare chance that this would be your case - but still read on to http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q289/8/21.ASP
    :
    : 4. Post back if the above three don't solve the problem - maybe someone else in this board has a better idea.
    :
    : Good Luck!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Manish.
    :
    :
    :

• There should be no effect of signing,etc. if you try out the thing with your browser's security settings kept to minimum. (Never tried this way, but this should be the case).

As for the DestDir, if no DestDir is specified (typical case), code is installed in the fixed OCCACHE directory.

There was a Micrsoft Article over signing the CAB file...I did a search and found it at http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/technical/articles/cab/default.asp

There are two more things I can suggest:

1. Try out putting the complete URL for the cab file in the "file-win32-x86" tag.
    e.g.
    [code]file-win32-x86=http://www.smile.comp/components/smile/smile.cab[/code]

2. If you're trying to install this from an < object > tag within a web page, then make sure that the CLASSID you gave in the webpage matches the CLSID of the control.

Whether the above things work or not, do post in the response so that other persons in the forums may look up and try to suggest something more.

Good Luck!

Manish.

: The CLSID mathces,
    : the DLL, is not supposed to register, as there are no DllRegisterServer or DllUnegisterServer functions in the DLL. Is that a must? I have seen DLLs used in some other web-applications that do not have a CLSID (or they need to register). One thing might be that i am 'test-signing' the CAB file (through MS Visual InterDev).
    : One interesting thing which i noticed in the .INF file was as follows,:
    :
    : [mycontrol.ocx]
    : file-win32-x86=thiscab
    : RegisterServer=yes
    : clsid={AEBCFF1A-9AD9-11D5-89CB-008048CAE8E5}
    : DestDir=
    : FileVersion=1,0,0,20
    :
    : here, the entry corresponding to "DestDir= " is empty ..! I don't understand why this is happening....
    : after a few attempts i added DestDir=11 so that the ocx goes to the default windows directory.
    :
    : Any Clues????
    : Thanks,
    :
    : --Rajiv
    :