Help! With Positions

My GTA2 style game was coming along nicely until I got to collision detection. For collision detection I put my car in a bounding box and checked every vertice in the box against my city mesh and if no collision are detected then the car is moved to the destination. Now what I have relized is that my cars position is defined from its center so I would have to add the the box vertice I want to check with my cars position to get a accurate result.
Here's a picture -

v1|-0--0-|v4
| p | * view from top, v1-v4 are the boxes
v3|-0--0-|v5 vetices and p is the car's position.
so to check v1 for example I would
have to minus v1 from p,(both are
vectors) then check if it collides with
the mesh.

What I would like to know is if this is necessary, and if so how sould I go about doing it, since if v1 was smaller then pos I would have to minus v2 from pos, but if v1 was bigger than pos then I would have to minus pos from v1. I have tried every thing I could think of but my car still stops after the building is halfway though it.

I am using DirectX8 with VisualC++ 6.0. I load the map and car from X. files into seperate vertice buffers. I lock the vertice buffers and index buffers when I need access to the vertices.