AIM Question

You know how a hyperlink of the form aim:addbuddy?screenname=name causes aim to add the screen name to your buddy list. How does it do this, or more generally, how would I code a program that would be able to respond to something like that.

Comments

• I've personally never used (nor seen) AIM, but I know that URLs in the form pagename.ext?option1=value1&option2=value2 are processed onto an Internet server script, not by an application.

Sorry if what I answered doesn't match your question.

• To accomplish this, you must add a key to the registry, under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, with the name of the protocol you want to add. Identify it as an URL protocol by giving it a value "URL protocol" set to an empty string. The default value should be "URL:description of protocol". Apart from this, it works like any other shell extension.

Example:
    [code]
    (HKCR)
    (word) = 'URL:Word protocol'
    Url protocol = ''
    (Default Icon) = '"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Developer NetworkMicrosoft OfficeWINWORD.EXE",1'
    (shell)
    (open)
    (command) = '"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Developer NetworkMicrosoft OfficeWINWORD.EXE" %1'
    [/code]

This will open word whenever "word:" is used