ms-dos screen capture bios

Does anybody know how can I capture the MS-DOS screen when in fullscreen mode?
I know it's possible because Symantec's pcAnywhere does it. In fact, I'm working on a product that does everything pcAnywhere does: File transfer, Screen viewer and Chat. Graphical image transferring is perfect and fast, but, the character interface is something that seems impossible handle from a Windows application.
I've tried the following:
- Read the video memory directly from addresses $b8000 or $a0000. This returns something ugly and not related to the current DOS screen, besides, I couldn't read the current cursor location;
- Call BIOS video services through int $10. It generates an exception (Windows doesn't allow int $10);
- Use API console functions. They seem to work only with the instance you created, a previous existing DOS session (from other thread) couldn't be handled!? Besides, console functions seem to be able to access the standard IO buffers only.

I work with Delphi32, but suggestions on other languages or ideas will be all welcome.
Thanks.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Easiest way I know is to send whatever message to windows that pressing PrintScreen sends, then dumping the clipboard contents into a bitmap file. I take screenshots in DOS boxes by using PrintScreen frequently, then going to paint and pasting it, so I know that the PrintScreen message stores a screenshot, most likely in bitmap format, into the clipboard. All you have to do is figure out how you want to copy it from the clipboard into a file and in what format!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• Thank you for your help Sephiroth but, the worst problem I'm facing is when the DOS session is in fullscreen mode (character mode). This way the PrintScreen key sends screen as text directly to the printer, not to clipboard.
    Please let me know if you say any other hint.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : Thank you for your help Sephiroth but, the worst problem I'm facing is when the DOS session is in fullscreen mode (character mode). This way the PrintScreen key sends screen as text directly to the printer, not to clipboard.
    : Please let me know if you say any other hint.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Wierd, doesn't do that on mine. You must be running Windows 95? I have used PrintScreen in 98 and now 98SE to take thousands of screenshots of my DOS games, such as Daggerfall, Arena, Doom, Duke 3D, and many more. Works like a charm for me too. I'll look into it to see if i can make my printer respond directly to the PrintScreen key, but if I can't, I have no clue on what to tell ya'.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]