several problems, need only one solution

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with this problem, so here's the whole outline, and if you have any comments or suggestions at all, please post or email em, greatly appreciated.

k.. my business uses a program called bookscan, which uses .dbf databases, so usually the way to access them is link them using FoxPro (in Access 97) or dBase (Access 2000, since FoxPro can only be used for ODBC). However, the work i'm doing is programming in Visual Basic 6. And, for small databases, connecting through dBase-linked tables works fine with DAO (I find it easier than ADO... more from habit than anything else). Using FoxPro-linked tables, which uses indexes, and so allows the larger databases to work properly, gives me a "Cannot find installable ISAM" error. I've noticed a few posts bout this here, but am yet to see actual solutions.
Anyways, this problem plagued me for quite a while, since using FoxPro links would solve all the other problems. but I've found a way around it. kinda. I have a macro-converted module in Access, which i run thru Visual Basic, which copies the large (problematic) databases into Access tables via dBase links, and so they work fine. The problem then is the updating
of the original linked dBase tables once finished with the access versions. Can't run an append query, cos if there have been records removed from the access version, the changes won't take place in the linked version.
Then i realised another way round the whole issue - use the dbf files directly in Visual Basic. But, of course, another problem. No index files.

Any help with either of the three problems (ISAMs, updating of linked tables, connecting as dBase dbf) would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks just for getting this far in reading this post

Kilevar

Comments

• : I've been having quite a bit of trouble with this problem, so here's the whole outline, and if you have any comments or suggestions at all, please post or email em, greatly appreciated.
    :
    : k.. my business uses a program called bookscan, which uses .dbf databases, so usually the way to access them is link them using FoxPro (in Access 97) or dBase (Access 2000, since FoxPro can only be used for ODBC). However, the work i'm doing is programming in Visual Basic 6. And, for small databases, connecting through dBase-linked tables works fine with DAO (I find it easier than ADO... more from habit than anything else). Using FoxPro-linked tables, which uses indexes, and so allows the larger databases to work properly, gives me a "Cannot find installable ISAM" error. I've noticed a few posts bout this here, but am yet to see actual solutions.
    : Anyways, this problem plagued me for quite a while, since using FoxPro links would solve all the other problems. but I've found a way around it. kinda. I have a macro-converted module in Access, which i run thru Visual Basic, which copies the large (problematic) databases into Access tables via dBase links, and so they work fine. The problem then is the updating
    : of the original linked dBase tables once finished with the access versions. Can't run an append query, cos if there have been records removed from the access version, the changes won't take place in the linked version.
    : Then i realised another way round the whole issue - use the dbf files directly in Visual Basic. But, of course, another problem. No index files.
    :
    : Any help with either of the three problems (ISAMs, updating of linked tables, connecting as dBase dbf) would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Many Thanks just for getting this far in reading this post
    :
    : Kilevar
    :
    Unfortunately I've run into some of the same problems but I was only able to develop a work-around using FoxPro. I create an instance of FoxPro in my VB that runs the copy to use the tables in Access. Then create a new instance of FoxPro that runs the append after I'm finished updating. This is fine if you have FoxPro installed and you are the only one making updates but if you have to distribute your app then it's going to run into a few problems. Hope this helps.

Sagacious

• Hi!

There are datbase engines that work in VB6, and can access FoxPro and other dBase-style databases. One such product is CodeBase:
    http://www.sequiter.com/products/

CodeBase can be purchased for $400.00 direct from the company's web site. While not cheap, it has been around a long time, and seems to work well.

Then again, it sounds like you've already spent $400.00 worth of time trying to make a workaround...

[purple]Melissa[/purple]