Can anyone create a OS in VB

HI i always wanted to crate my own OS and i've heard that windowws is made up in c++ an a little of VB so can anyone create a OS in VB

Comments

• : HI i always wanted to crate my own OS and i've heard that windowws is made up in c++ an a little of VB so can anyone create a OS in VB
    :
    if you havent noticed vb requires windows to run, you could create a shell, but it wouldn't be too great, vb is the slowest language.
  • : HI i always wanted to crate my own OS and i've heard that windowws is made up in c++ an a little of VB so can anyone create a OS in VB
    :
    I don't believe any of the Windows code is in VB, since AFAIK Windows does not ship with a VB runtime.

In any case, since VB relies on Windows API calls, as well as low-level stuff likekeyboard processing and video display processing, VB wouldn't be the language to use.

Any language capable of low-level calls - C, C++, Assembler, etc. - would be the way to go.

BTW, have you seen the open-source DOS project? That might be something interesting for you.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : I don't believe any of the Windows code is in VB,
    Windows itself is not, but various Microsoft apps possibly are.

: since AFAIK Windows does not ship with a VB runtime.
    Win98 - VB5 runtime.

: In any case, since VB relies on Windows API calls, as well as low-level stuff likekeyboard processing and video display processing, VB wouldn't be the language to use.
    :
    VB relies on Windows for graphics and keyboard as well.

: Any language capable of low-level calls - C, C++, Assembler, etc. - would be the way to go.
    :
    Any language not dependent on DOS/Windows. QB is perfectly capable of doing everything via low-level work (even poking pure ASM code into the code segment), but is wholly dependent on DOS.

: BTW, have you seen the open-source DOS project? That might be something interesting for you.
    :
    Nope, but it could be interesting to see!

First Diety
  • : : I don't believe any of the Windows code is in VB,
    : Windows itself is not, but various Microsoft apps possibly are.
    :
    : : since AFAIK Windows does not ship with a VB runtime.
    : Win98 - VB5 runtime.
    :
    : : In any case, since VB relies on Windows API calls, as well as low-level stuff likekeyboard processing and video display processing, VB wouldn't be the language to use.
    : :
    : VB relies on Windows for graphics and keyboard as well.
    :
    : : Any language capable of low-level calls - C, C++, Assembler, etc. - would be the way to go.
    : Any language not dependent on DOS/Windows. QB is perfectly capable of doing everything via low-level work (even poking pure ASM code into the code segment), but is wholly dependent on DOS.
    :
    : : BTW, have you seen the open-source DOS project? That might be something interesting for you.
    : Nope, but it could be interesting to see!
    :
    : First Diety
    :
    ya, please share with us, i am interested by your saying...
  • Wanted to add....

pointless as it might seem I did make a shell for win 9X in VB, ran well and looked sweet... but required the most unlikly API calls to do some of the most likly things. All in all, not worth the trouble.
  • It's called FreeDOS, and can be found at:
    http://www.freedos.org

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• Boy, I [italic]have[/italic] been away a while. I forgot I had to be very specific :)

: : I don't believe any of the Windows code is in VB,
    : Windows itself is not, but various Microsoft apps possibly are.

As I recall, there were some very early SQL utilitites written in VB. But I meant that no part of the actual operating system was written in VB.

: : since AFAIK Windows does not ship with a VB runtime.
    : Win98 - VB5 runtime.

I didn't know that. That would still imply that other versions did not come with a runtime, and thus there couldn't be any VB programs that came with the OS.

: : In any case, since VB relies on Windows API calls, as well as low-level stuff like keyboard processing and video display processing, VB wouldn't be the language to use.
    : VB relies on Windows for graphics and keyboard as well.
    :

I meant that VB does not directly handle things like keyboard and video processing, in that it does not directly talk to the hardware.

: : Any language capable of low-level calls - C, C++, Assembler, etc. - would be the way to go.
    : Any language not dependent on DOS/Windows. QB is perfectly capable of doing everything via low-level work (even poking pure ASM code into the code segment), but is wholly dependent on DOS.

Again, I meant any language that can talk to the hardware directly. The "low-level calls" I was thinking about in this context were BIOS calls.

: : BTW, have you seen the open-source DOS project? That might be something interesting for you.
    : Nope, but it could be interesting to see!

It's called FreeDOS, and can be found at:
    http://www.freedos.org

: First Diety
    :
    Don't I know it! :)

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : Boy, I [italic]have[/italic] been away a while. I forgot I had to be very specific :)
    :
    It's my only chance to put one over on you!

: I didn't know that. That would still imply that other versions did not come with a runtime, and thus there couldn't be any VB programs that came with the OS.
    :
    Yup, but I don't know what other versions may or may not have come with.

: : : In any case, since VB relies on Windows API calls, as well as low-level stuff like keyboard processing and video display processing, VB wouldn't be the language to use.
    : : :
    : : VB relies on Windows for graphics and keyboard as well.
    :
    : I meant that VB does not directly handle things like keyboard and video processing, in that it does not directly talk to the hardware.
    :
    I wondered about that. I thought that you would know better, but your message wasn't quite clear to me so I replies in case anyone else got confused.

: Again, I meant any language that can talk to the hardware directly. The "low-level calls" I was thinking about in this context were BIOS calls.
    :
    I'm betting QB could make BIOS calls via "asm-injection" of code similar to any other BIOS-call code.

: It's called FreeDOS, and can be found at:
    : http://www.freedos.org
    Oh, that. I took a look at it once. Seems like there was something wrong with it... It didn't interest me. Perhaps another look is in order...

: : First Diety
    : Don't I know it! :)
    Thought you might have forgotten.

KDL