Why is BASIC primitive?

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by the del at 2002-3-20 18:56:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : I meant you never have to use rnadomize and it will generate new numbers...

What benefit would that provide?

Apart from reducing the size of your program by a single line... And giving you less flexibility over how random numbers are generated...

• basic sucks because if u are not blind, cripled, or crazy u can use it. my six year old sister even knows how to make games in basic. it is exatcly what the name states BASIC. THAT IS WHY IT SUCKS!
  • Dou you know what I think ? I think you sucks, the idea of basic is EASY TO LEARN & USE and that's why basic is GREAT and your six years old sister knows it ( but still I don't thinks she know as much as most of people on this board). Also you must know that there are many basic compilers (Dark Basic is for writing very fast 3D games using DirectX, also MoonRock is as fast as C).
    If it wasn't gwbasic (near 1990) I wouldn't be here. Now I know QBasic, VBasic, MoonRock, Euforia, some of Pascal, C and Assembler.

P.S. If you don't like QB the take your a.. from here and go somewhare else.

• : basic sucks because if u are not blind, cripled, or crazy u can use
    : it. my six year old sister even knows how to make games in basic. it
    : is exatcly what the name states BASIC. THAT IS WHY IT SUCKS!

You can't be serious? That's like saying DOS must be better than Windows because DOS is harder to use. If harder is better, why doesn't everyone just program in machine code?

The aim of any good developer is to make their software as user-friendly as possible. The fact that BASIC is so high-level and so easy to pick up is its advantage over other languages, not a disadvantage. Because it's so easy to write, applications can be written in half the time and with far fewer bugs.

When you say BASIC is "basic", I wonder what particular strand of BASIC you are referring to. For example Microsoft's latest version, VB.Net, is a very powerful object-oriented language with strong Internet and database management functionality, just to name a few.

Do you have an inferiority complex with your six year old sister or something?
  • all basic sucks because it is too easy. it takes little or no skill whatsoever. the new windows type vb.net is so easy! i don't know y u say it is diffucult! i like java because it stimulates the brain which basic doesn't. the graphics are better. do u want any other reasons why java sucks? e-mail me at kc489@hotmail.com then if u think u know nething.
  • Don't be so fast to ASS-u-me Pappy1942 is wrong. Pappy1942 brings up a very important point: Each language or even development platform tends to attract its own community.
    Not to say that all kinds of people don't program in BASIC, but the majority, these days, tend to start in BASIC because of how little overhead it has. Ususally they either move on after a while or quit altogether. You're asking why you don't see these advanced techniques in BASIC? Key word: --> Advanced. <---. There's BASIC programmers of all levels out there, but more advanced programmers tend not to use BASIC.

Watch carefully the language I used: words such as TEND, and USUSALLY. I'm not stating ultimate, undisputable truths about BASIC programmers, I'm only outlining general trends i've observed.

: That wasn't what I meant... You should make assumptions... To assume is to make an @ss of you and me.
    :
    : Why though have none of these things been done? That is all I asked. I think you read too deep here...
    :
    : --------------------------------------------
    : I will bend your mind with my spoon...
    :
    :

• How can you say that BASIC doesn't stimulate the brain? I hate to break the news to you, but a language itself does very little. Each command plays a tiny role, and your skill lies in how you put those together. In fact, the ease of BASIC stimulates your brain to worry less about syntax + specifics and focus more on your final product

Just because you program in one language or another, you don't automatically become smarter or more skilled.

: all basic sucks because it is too easy. it takes little or no skill whatsoever. the new windows type vb.net is so easy! i don't know y u say it is diffucult! i like java because it stimulates the brain which basic doesn't. the graphics are better. do u want any other reasons why java sucks? e-mail me at kc489@hotmail.com then if u think u know nething.
    :

• : basic sucks because if u are not blind, cripled, or crazy u can use it. my six year old sister even knows how to make games in basic. it is exatcly what the name states BASIC. THAT IS WHY IT SUCKS!
    :
    I rarely answer posts like this, but I can't resist.

Please answer the following:

1) If BASIC "sucks", why are you in a BASIC forum?

2) Is your six-year-old sister blind, crippled, or crazy?

3) Apparently you've mastered the JAVA language, but what about English?

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : all basic sucks because it is too easy. it takes little or no skill
    : whatsoever. the new windows type vb.net is so easy! i don't know y u
    : say it is diffucult! i like java because it stimulates the brain
    : which basic doesn't. the graphics are better. do u want any other
    : reasons why java sucks? e-mail me at kc489@hotmail.com then if u
    : think u know nething.

You have said "i like java because it stimulates the brain" and then you said "do u want any other reasons why java sucks?". Maybe next time you should check that your reply actually makes sense before you send it to the message board.

I never said VB.Net is difficult. It is powerful and user-friendly. Like in any language, the difficulty depends on the complexity of the application you are trying to create.

And by the way, Java is not that hard either - that's one of the reasons it's so popular.

• : :
    : I rarely answer posts like this, but I can't resist.
    :
    : Please answer the following:
    :
    : 1) If BASIC "sucks", why are you in a BASIC forum?
    :
    : 2) Is your six-year-old sister blind, crippled, or crazy?
    :
    : 3) Apparently you've mastered the JAVA language, but what about English?
    :
    : the answer to ur ?'s is

a) i wanted to see answer my teachers question about peoples opinion on basic
    b) no my sister isn't blind crippled or crazy but i think u must be crazy for mentioning it
    c) the java language is mastered but i don't have the hang of english yet since i am russian you loser

if u think u can even come close to the brain capapcity of mine mellisa then try.
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    :

• : a) i wanted to see answer my teachers question about peoples opinion on basic
    : b) no my sister isn't blind crippled or crazy but i think u must be crazy for mentioning it
    : c) the java language is mastered but i don't have the hang of english yet since i am russian you loser
    :
    : if u think u can even come close to the brain capapcity of mine mellisa then try.

The loser here is you, you think you are better than us becose you know some of java, or becose russians higher consumation of vodka? I don't think so. (I am polish and I don't like russians becose of person like you).

Maby your problem is that your six years sister is better in basic than you in java, or as you said your sister knows how to make a game in basic and you aren't able to make any in java ?

Go to the java forum and don't bug us with you comlexes.

• --------------------------------------------
    I will bend your mind with my spoon...

• I do think the he is being rather arrogant considering his position, but I also think it isn't right to make fun of him or diss him for not knowing english (totally). So you guys need ot back off or blow off...

--------------------------------------------
    I will bend your mind with my spoon...

• : I do think the he is being rather arrogant considering his position, but I also think it isn't right to make fun of him or diss him for not knowing english (totally). So you guys need ot back off or blow off...
    :
    You are absolutely correct. I am sorry I responded in that way.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]