I need help installing GCC

I have no idea here. I downloaded GCC and tried to follow the installation instructions, but there really is way too much info. I have no idea. The first command I tried (Make bootstrap?) failed. That's what the install instructions told me to do. What am I missing? Why do I have to compile it? Are there pre-compiled versions already for me to install. How can I compile it anyways if I don't have a compiler? (That's why I want gcc)

Comments

• : How can I compile it anyways if I don't have a compiler? (That's why I want gcc)
    :
    You can't. If you bought a distro on CD, you can install gcc from the CD.

• : I have no idea here. I downloaded GCC and tried to follow the installation instructions, but there really is way too much info. I have no idea. The first command I tried (Make bootstrap?) failed. That's what the install instructions told me to do. What am I missing? Why do I have to compile it? Are there pre-compiled versions already for me to install. How can I compile it anyways if I don't have a compiler? (That's why I want gcc)
    :
    I think that you already have gcc but are not able to execute it for other reasons. To test this theory, lets go hunting for the executable file . It normally is found at /usr/bin. You can use the command cd /usr/bin to move to that directory, and then type ls | less (not the pipe symbol in the middle -- you are piping the output of command ls to the less utility viewer). Use your space bar or your down arrow to arrive at the filenames beginning w/ g and see if you can find the gcc. Let me know what you find (by the way, hit the 'q' key to turn off less).

Paladin

How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?
    - Al Gore on Y2K

• If gcc is installed, it should be in your search path

# type -p gcc
    - should give you the path

# whereis gcc
    - should list the path to the executable and the man page

# man gcc
    - will let you read the man page

# rpm -q gcc
    - will tell you if it was installed from an RPM package

# rpm -ql gcc
    - will list all the files installed with the package

# gcc -v
    will print the version of the compiler

# locate gcc
    -will find all files and directories named "gcc"
  • Nope I don't have gcc.

I haven't seen anything like this. With Windows if I needed a compiler I would just download it and install it. Why does it have to be so weird for Linux? Just a simple thing. Where do I download a copy of gcc that I don't have to compile? What is the point of downloading a compiler if you need the same compiler to compile it?

• Go to your distribution web site and get the development tools. All distributions provide pre-built libraries or the source to compile them seperately. Also if you have the distribution CD, install the
    development tools which should give you a list of compilers/interpretors etc which include gcc.

: Nope I don't have gcc.
    :
    : I haven't seen anything like this. With Windows if I needed a compiler I would just download it and install it. Why does it have to be so weird for Linux? Just a simple thing. Where do I download a copy of gcc that I don't have to compile? What is the point of downloading a compiler if you need the same compiler to compile it?
    :
    :

• : Nope I don't have gcc.
    :
    : I haven't seen anything like this. With Windows if I needed a compiler I would just download it and install it. Why does it have to be so weird for Linux? Just a simple thing. Where do I download a copy of gcc that I don't have to compile? What is the point of downloading a compiler if you need the same compiler to compile it?
    :
    Try viewing the gcc LINUX HOWTO article at: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/GCC-HOWTO

You may want to bookmark this site if you are new to LINUX.

Paladin

- Al Gore on Y2K

• :: With Windows if I needed a compiler I would just download it and install it.

So why don't you just download it and install it, then ???

Here are the RedHat 7.2 precompiled binaries:

Version 2.9.6 ...
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm

Version 3.0.1 ...
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

Additional files you may want or need:
    (available from the same site)

gcc-c++-2.96-98.i386.rpm
    gcc-chill-2.96-98.i386.rpm
    gcc-g77-2.96-98.i386.rpm
    gcc-java-2.96-98.i386.rpm
    gcc-objc-2.96-98.i386.rpm

gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-g77-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-java-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-objc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
  • Several of the regulars have given you good links to get the RPMs, but failed to provide instructions.

Basically a RPM is a package of binaries, config files, and whatever else is needed. To install gcc of whatever RPM you are dealing with, provided it's not already installed on your system use the command
    rpm -i

to upgrade a package that already exists
    rpm -u

If you are running xwindows, you should be able to double-click the rpm to install it, but I don't work with x so I can't be certain
    Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• Thamks guys! I now have gcc3 on my computer. I just compiled my first C program (Hello!) for Linux, and it worked. Now maybe I can pick up from where I stopped with Windows. Thanks! I was getting headaches and about to OD on Ibuprofen.

• : Thamks guys! I now have gcc3 on my computer. I just compiled my first C program (Hello!) for Linux, and it worked. Now maybe I can pick up from where I stopped with Windows. Thanks! I was getting headaches and about to OD on Ibuprofen.
    :
    Excellent!

- Al Gore on Y2K