Pacal vs. C.

I was just wondering what u guys(or gals) thought about the speed differences, the size differences, the ease of use

and all the other crap about turbo pascal and borland c(or visual c).

Please I would like your input.

P.S. dont rate c better just because more

libraries are written for it.

Comments

• : I was just wondering what u guys(or gals) thought about the speed differences, the size differences, the ease of use

: and all the other crap about turbo pascal and borland c(or visual c).

: Please I would like your input.

: P.S. dont rate c better just because more

: libraries are written for it.

C is definately better than Pascal beacause of several reasons.

In C when you pass parameters to functions then they are actually processed

as a STACK while in Pascal it is First-Come Firsr-Serve(Queue).

This is advantageous since it prevents errors at "low level" programming.

The segement registers are more efficiently controlled in C.

What C lacks is the "nested procedures" which is not a big deal.

The far pointers in C are more efficeint in C.

C has only about 30-40 reserve words and they are enough to do virtually anything.

It is upto the programmers that they use the library routines or

make their libraries.

New languages such as Java atc are all based on C.

Making a new Operating system is a hectic task and can

be efficiently done in C.

UNIX which is supposed to be the most secure operating system

has been written in C(well the most part of it) and Assembly language.

About Visual C++ or lets Say API programming in C

we have more power than any other programming

such as Delphi(object pascal) etc.

• C is defently better. C is pretty much low-level, so that has a certain disatvantage sometimes (much it have much more advatages), and if u want a higher-level C like langague, u can always goto C++ or ObjectiveC.

anyways, C is simplier, uses less reserved words, has an easy to use macro pre-compiler (cpp).

Pascal's advantages is that it's more like pseudo-code, and therefore is very good as an educational langauge, but when wanting to get some real work done, it's get too messy in pascal, pointer manipulation and type casting are harder, and the systax is too clumzy,

like for example begin-end blocks are much harder to see than { } blocks in C. C is easier to phrase automaticly (like in Emacs for example) because the syntax is so simple. to sum it all up, C is _THE_ language for system programming. forget pascal. i was a pascal die-hard for years, but take a few weeks (2 proboaly) and study C, it's defenatly worth it. for beginners, i still think pascal would proboably be better, since in C you sometimes have to worry about too many things, and the compiler errors are too long and scary for beginners, but once you pass the initial training stage, C is it.

-oyd11

• hi there.

I've been wondering for far too long about which is the best programming language for a beginner, that has lots of experience concerning computers, but has only *seldomly* written some BASIC code

(yuck! ;-P).

So, last month I decided I would start getting involved in teaching myself pascal.

After a weekend or so, and after all these

i :=42

and so, someone showed me some c code.

Hey, I had seen c/c++ code before, but never before had I gotten *really* internested in learning c.

So, my opinion is:

1)C/C++ source code is FAR more readable and understandable than pascal code.

2)I use Linux and Linux=C ;-)

3)C is extremely fast

4)I don't like Pascal ;-)

Well, in case you are interested, I am now learning C/C++ by a NEW, RECENT book (not like most *obsolete* pascal books), and I am also getting started in Assembly.

So, I vote for the best IMHO combination:

C/C++ and x86 Assembly

Note: Anyone who doubts the abilities of this combination should see *demanding* graphic demos running at 30 to 45 fps at my 486/66 8Megs RAM ;)

• : I was just wondering what u guys(or gals) thought about the speed differences, the size differences, the ease of use

: and all the other crap about turbo pascal and borland c(or visual c).

: Please I would like your input.

: P.S. dont rate c better just because more

: libraries are written for it.

Pascal is good for learning because it forces good program structure and requires less knowledge on the part of the user(At first anyway).

One of the main advantages of C though, is that it's a very "low" "High-Level" Language. It's high-level in that it has advanced control structures built in (For loop, switch, etc.) and uses pseudo-english commands. However, it allows lower access to the hardware of a computer than most other high level languages(Pascal, JAVA, Fortran etc.) and most C compilers even have the capability to handle ASM within the code of a C program. The declarations also give the programmer more control. Data types of char, int, long, etc. just specify size. Pascal checks data types more carefully than C. This is a good thing, except that sometimes you may want an integer-size data location to hold ASCII data. In C this is no problem, just put the value there and as long as you remember to use the correct formatting when you need the data it works fine. In Pascal you must use conversion routines that are actually unnecesary except that they help to avoid error.

In summary C is more powerful, and isn't difficult to learn. C requires more careful programming however, mistakes in C can be more costly than in Pascal. Pascal is a good language if you don't wan't to worry as much about making a tiny mistake can fuck up your whole program.(Array out of bounds is allowed in C and can cause serious damage to your data in memory)

• Slow,slow,...

1. Most Demos gets most of their speed from the ASM code within it.Real ASM-demos are in most cases much faster then C++-demos.Even some realy fast Pascal-demos exist out there.Last but not least I prefer REAL ASM for democoding.

2. Pascal-code is much better to read then any other.You have a good procedural concept and even object oriented programming is possible in pascal.The only disadvantage is,that Pascal is a "dead" language,it will not further developed since 1990 or so.Pascal is only so slow,because the Borland-compiler isnt so good like C++compilers.
    The disassembly of pascal-code is realy junk-code,but thats BORLANDs fault.

In moment C++ is still a MUST for fast,stable applications,but the sourcecodes from PASCAL are still the best.C++ sources are ugghhh......