Need opinion of compiler (C++)

OK, so I've got a few compilers that I'm thinking about downloading, and I want to know what people thought about them, so I could choose which one I wanted. The two I've found (in a quick search at Google...keyword C++ compiler) are the Bloodshed Software DEV C++ and the LCC-WIN32 compiler. I know there are others, but out of these (or the ones at this URL... http://www.thefreecountry.com/developercity/ccompilers.shtml)
So, out of those (or the ones listed in the post) which ones are better and why?

Thanks for helping the newbie ;)!

Webmaster Jordan
Bona_Fide_Q

Comments

• Given the choice, I'd take Borland's C++ compiler. It is fast, catches a lot of bugs and is pretty easy to use. Down side: You need a DOS comand prompt to run it. So Windows ME/XP won't run it.

Jesse

• : Down side: You need a DOS comand prompt to run it. So Windows ME/XP won't run it.

You can get a command prompt in NT/2K/XP by typing "cmd.exe" into Start->Run. I think ME still has the "command.com" terminal that the 9x's had.
  • I'm partial to Dev C++. Why? Because it uses the same GCC I'm now very familiar with from unix development. The IDE has some issues, but you can use it at the command line if you want.
  • : Given the choice, I'd take Borland's C++ compiler. It is fast, catches a lot of bugs and is pretty easy to use. Down side: You need a DOS comand prompt to run it. So Windows ME/XP won't run it.
    :
    : Jesse
    :
    :
    My only problem with the Borland C++ compiler was that I had to give all that personal info. Otherwise I would have gone for it without a question. Thanks for your input.

Webmaster Jordan
  • : I'm partial to Dev C++. Why? Because it uses the same GCC I'm now very familiar with from unix development. The IDE has some issues, but you can use it at the command line if you want.
    :
    Problems with the IDE, eh? Ok, thanks. I'm kinda partial to that one too, mainly cause the screenshots are WIN32 exes and the only reason I'm not using the GNU C++ that came with my book is because it was DOS. I'm not against DOS, it's just when one C++ compiler doesn't work in it you kinda want to go for one that's a WIN32 IDE...
    Thanks for your input.

Webmaster Jordan
    (PS: I am not the webmaster of this site, but when I can't think of any better name, I use Webmaster Jordan, which is the name I use on my site.)
  • : I'm partial to Dev C++. Why? Because it uses the same GCC I'm now very familiar with from unix development. The IDE has some issues, but you can use it at the command line if you want.
    :

Some issues? I think a better description is "hardly usable", unfortunately... (at least version 4) - the generated makefile simply sucks - it compiles every damn source file every time X-( Also, it crashes every 10-15 minutes, the UI is blocked when building, etc.

I tried (2-3 months ago) to develop a small program (<20 classes) with this IDE and eventually I got down to manually write the makefile... not a pleasant (nor productive, btw) occupation :(

As for recommending a compiler, I agree that GCC is a pretty good choice and MinGW (the default compiler of Dev-C++) a good port for Win32 - here's a link for downloading the latest version: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-1.1.tar.gz

Cheers,
    Blitz
  • : As for recommending a compiler, I agree that GCC is a pretty good choice
    : and MinGW (the default compiler of Dev-C++) a good port for Win32

Sorry for being pedantic: MinGW isn't a port of GCC. MinGW is a port of the Win32 API to GCC. It's the first thing that's said on mingw.org :).
  • : : I'm partial to Dev C++. Why? Because it uses the same GCC I'm now very familiar with from unix development. The IDE has some issues, but you can use it at the command line if you want.
    : :
    :
    : Some issues? I think a better description is "hardly usable", unfortunately... (at least version 4) - the generated makefile simply sucks - it compiles every damn source file every time X-( Also, it crashes every 10-15 minutes, the UI is blocked when building, etc.
    :
    : I tried (2-3 months ago) to develop a small program (<20 classes) with this IDE and eventually I got down to manually write the makefile... not a pleasant (nor productive, btw) occupation :(
    :
    : As for recommending a compiler, I agree that GCC is a pretty good choice and MinGW (the default compiler of Dev-C++) a good port for Win32 - here's a link for downloading the latest version: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-1.1.tar.gz
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Blitz
    :
    This compiler (MingGW, you said?)...what is the interface? Command-prompt? I don't mind that. What I do mind is that I probibly wouldn't be able to open that, only using WinXP's standard "Zip folder" thingy because ZipGenius crashed on me. Thanks for your opinion.
  • : : Given the choice, I'd take Borland's C++ compiler. It is fast, catches a lot of bugs and is pretty easy to use. Down side: You need a DOS comand prompt to run it. So Windows ME/XP won't run it.
    : : Jesse
    : My only problem with the Borland C++ compiler was that I had to give all that personal info. Otherwise I would have gone for it without a question. Thanks for your input.
    :
    : Webmaster Jordan
    :

There is a way you can get around the NT/2K/XP/ME problem of not allowing you to boot to DOS. There is a program called Bootmaker (I don't remember where I got it). This allows you to create a DOS boot disk so you can boot to a rudimentry version of DOS (at least it allows you to run those "DOS only" programs.

As for the personal info, my suggestion is that if you are not comfortable giving away personal info, then just lie about it.
  • : OK, so I've got a few compilers that I'm thinking about downloading, and I want to know what people thought about them, so I could choose which one I wanted. The two I've found (in a quick search at Google...keyword C++ compiler) are the Bloodshed Software DEV C++ and the LCC-WIN32 compiler. I know there are others, but out of these (or the ones at this URL... http://www.thefreecountry.com/developercity/ccompilers.shtml)
    : So, out of those (or the ones listed in the post) which ones are better and why?
    :
    : Thanks for helping the newbie ;)!
    :
    : Bona_Fide_Q
    :
    [green]
    LCC-WIN32 isn't a C++ compiler. It's C, so it may not be what you want. But...It is a very good compiler. I was impressed with it.
    [/green]

[/green]

• I like Visual studio it seems to have a nice compiler

: : I'm partial to Dev C++. Why? Because it uses the same GCC I'm now very familiar with from unix development. The IDE has some issues, but you can use it at the command line if you want.
    : Problems with the IDE, eh? Ok, thanks. I'm kinda partial to that one too, mainly cause the screenshots are WIN32 exes and the only reason I'm not using the GNU C++ that came with my book is because it was DOS. I'm not against DOS, it's just when one C++ compiler doesn't work in it you kinda want to go for one that's a WIN32 IDE...
    : Thanks for your input.
    :
    : (PS: I am not the webmaster of this site, but when I can't think of any better name, I use Webmaster Jordan, which is the name I use on my site.)
    :

• You can run Borland on XP, that is what I use, I mostly use Visual C++ though, I just like the layout better.

• : : OK, so I've got a few compilers that I'm thinking about downloading, and I want to know what people thought about them, so I could choose which one I wanted. The two I've found (in a quick search at Google...keyword C++ compiler) are the Bloodshed Software DEV C++ and the LCC-WIN32 compiler. I know there are others, but out of these (or the ones at this URL... http://www.thefreecountry.com/developercity/ccompilers.shtml)
    : : So, out of those (or the ones listed in the post) which ones are better and why?
    : : Thanks for helping the newbie ;)!
    : : Webmaster Jordan
    : : Bona_Fide_Q
    : [green]
    : LCC-WIN32 isn't a C++ compiler. It's C, so it may not be what you want. But...It is a very good compiler. I was impressed with it.
    : [/green]
    :
    : [/green]
    :
    :

Thank you for your input, everyone. I have went with DEV C++ from Bloodshed software.