Would someone actually download my simple game, let alone PAY for it?

Hey there,
I've just finished developing my first game written in visual Basic, which is quite simple one, but yet awsome in it's own way (as my friends say). I consider puting it in one of the shareware sites on the net. My question is, would someone actually want to download and play my little game, let alone PAY for it? It's hard to believe that with so many high-quality 3D games out there that I'll ever be able to compete with them. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• : Hey there,
    : I've just finished developing my first game written in visual Basic, which is quite simple one, but yet awsome in it's own way (as my friends say). I consider puting it in one of the shareware sites on the net. My question is, would someone actually want to download and play my little game, let alone PAY for it? It's hard to believe that with so many high-quality 3D games out there that I'll ever be able to compete with them. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For anyone to answer this question, they would need to take a look at the game. Maybe post a link so someone here can download it or get permission to email it to someone. I won't actually be able to help personally as I really have no experience in game programming and knowing what will actually sell.

: I've just finished developing my first game written in visual Basic, which is quite simple one, but yet awsome in it's own way (as my friends say). I consider puting it in one of the shareware sites on the net. My question is, would someone actually want to download and play my little game, let alone PAY for it? It's hard to believe that with so many high-quality 3D games out there that I'll ever be able to compete with them. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    :

Download it, I'd download it for sure.
    As for *paying*, well, I don't know. I'd love a demo, and then choose whether buying the full version or not.
    And anyway, if it's such a nice game, even if you don't sell it, you could all the same sell the next *LOL*
    Or perhaps a sequel.

Mind the cost of common games, too. Here in Italy, if I buy, for instance, Diablo II, it costs more or less 50 Euros. If you sold your game for a lower price, (IE: 10 Euro or so), then you'd probably find some buyers for it too. This way there would be less 'competition'.

Well, keep up the good work; and, good luck for your game.
    :

3D is nice, but overused and overrated. A game that looks like a movie but has lousy control won't sell. Likewise, bad plots/storylines will also kill a game. If it has decent graphics, responsive control, etc. it will live on for a long time (I [italic]still[/italic] play some of the old Atari 7200 games!).

My strongest decider is the size of the game. There are so many bad games out there, I almost never download one larger than 2MBs. I simply don't want to spend that much time only to get garbage. Keep it small!

Give us a few details (size, plot, etc.) and we might let you know if we would download.
  • : : Hey there,
    : : I've just finished developing my first game written in visual Basic, which is quite simple one, but yet awsome in it's own way (as my friends say). I consider puting it in one of the shareware sites on the net. My question is, would someone actually want to download and play my little game, let alone PAY for it? It's hard to believe that with so many high-quality 3D games out there that I'll ever be able to compete with them. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    : :
    :
    : 3D is nice, but overused and overrated. A game that looks like a movie but has lousy control won't sell. Likewise, bad plots/storylines will also kill a game. If it has decent graphics, responsive control, etc. it will live on for a long time (I [italic]still[/italic] play some of the old Atari 7200 games!).
    :
    : My strongest decider is the size of the game. There are so many bad games out there, I almost never download one larger than 2MBs. I simply don't want to spend that much time only to get garbage. Keep it small!
    :
    : Give us a few details (size, plot, etc.) and we might let you know if we would download.
    :

*LOL* Atari 7200????
    I play a lot of Genesis games, instead^^
    Mostly RPGs.

I agree with you, anyway. It's up to the genre, actually (not that I'd care what is the plot for a Tetris-like game), but I agree with KDL. Strangely enough *LOL*
    We don't agree with each other even when we're flaming VB *LOL*

As for size, in my office there's a T1 connection, so size is not an issue. 8 work hours with a T1, I can download entire CDs. *LOL*
    But I agree with the general idea that you gave, the game should be small so that many ppl can download it.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Small games can do well but I doubt they can as commercial products.

I'm a big wrestling fan and I can tell you 2 of the biggest wrestling games still in play are Promotion Wars (a free sim game created with VB) and the Fire Pro Wrestling series from Japan, which is still in 2D. In fact most Fire Pro fans want them to stay that way because there afraid of the game quality dropping if they went to 3D (they created a 3D flop years before).

You talk about the 3D game companies out there but I can tell you there's a market out there for original games. In fact that's your advantage. Too many companies go for games that they know are gonna sell, but don't want to try something new or risky. Most companies don't make a lot of profit. Once someone sets a trend most companies only then start producing similar games (Street Fighter, Resident Evil).

If you decide to keep it free what I would suggest as a good place to distribute your game is the P2P apps out there currently (Kazaa, Morpheus, Limewire). I decided to do mine this way because it's big in size and I didn't have to worry about running out of bandwidth. You should decide what's more important. Do you want a game alot of people are gonna play which might get a fan base or make a commercial version few might play. I never download shareware myself. I consider it a waste of time because it's watered down and it requires a later purchase.

You also could try to develop a fan base this time around with a freebie. Work on a sequel with a more solid system, 3D graphics, etc. Maybe with a fan base you can sell it later easier.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by the kamiccolo_lite at 2002-6-10 12:42:21[/red][/b][hr]
    it depends you should offer a freeware version and if that gets popular you should offer a better version for a fee, if its any good people wont pay rather get a pirated version