Pigment color mixing?

Hello all!

I've been beating my head against the wall on this problem and I haven't found any good info online, so I was hoping someone here might help.

I'm working on a simple graphics app that will blend colors much like a painter would, i.e. pigment color mixing. I've tried so many things(blending, trying other color formats, etc.) but nothing works so that "Blue + Yellow = Green"

This seems like such a simple problem at first glance but I'm stumped.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• : Hello all!
    :
    : I've been beating my head against the wall on this problem and I haven't found any good info online, so I was hoping someone here might help.
    :
    : I'm working on a simple graphics app that will blend colors much like a painter would, i.e. pigment color mixing. I've tried so many things(blending, trying other color formats, etc.) but nothing works so that "Blue + Yellow = Green"
    :
    : This seems like such a simple problem at first glance but I'm stumped.
    :
    : Thanks for the help!
    :
    Your working with 2 different animals, reflectived and transmitted light.
    The primary colors for ink/paints are CYAN MAGENTA YELLOW BLACK
    The primary colors for pixels/light are RED GREEN BLUE

The World Book Encycopeidia has a good section about it.

• : : Hello all!
    : :
    : : I've been beating my head against the wall on this problem and I haven't found any good info online, so I was hoping someone here might help.
    : : I'm working on a simple graphics app that will blend colors much like a painter would, i.e. pigment color mixing. I've tried so many things(blending, trying other color formats, etc.) but nothing works so that "Blue + Yellow = Green"
    : : This seems like such a simple problem at first glance but I'm stumped.
    : : Thanks for the help!
    : Your working with 2 different animals, reflectived and transmitted light.
    : The primary colors for ink/paints are CYAN MAGENTA YELLOW BLACK
    : The primary colors for pixels/light are RED GREEN BLUE
    :
    : The World Book Encycopeidia has a good section about it.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thank you for the response.

I did try doing the math with CMYK (subtractive color mixing) but still the fundamental problem I see with that is Yellow(rgb255,255,0 or c0 m0 y1) + Blue(rgb0,0,255 or c1 m1 y0) is never green, and I think it should be (or is this an incorrect assumption?)

Am I supposed to do a straight add? Then I get white. Average? Grey. Or is green/grey a special case?

One person I talked to about this problem say the only way he could get the results he needed was to fake it up, actually creating a color mixing lookup table.

I find it very surprising that I have been unable to find any real good resources on this type of problem. I'm hoping that I'm missing something obvious, that someone can tell me my assumptions are all wrong, or that this is a fundamental problem with no easy solutions and I should start coding up a lookup table.

Thanks.