Popup window sending info to main window

In a main window I have various form fields. To populate some of those fields I want to generate a popup window that will have a list of hyperlinks generated from an SQL Statement.

When the user clicks on the link, I want the information associated with that link to populate some of the form fields in the main window.

Does someone know how to do this? I have seen lots of code to populate a popup window but no code to populate the main window from the popup.

Thanks.

Comments

• : In a main window I have various form fields. To populate some of those fields I want to generate a popup window that will have a list of hyperlinks generated from an SQL Statement.
    :
    : When the user clicks on the link, I want the information associated with that link to populate some of the form fields in the main window.
    :
    : Does someone know how to do this? I have seen lots of code to populate a popup window but no code to populate the main window from the popup.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    :
    :

Hi there,

Yep, try using the WINDOW.OPENER object. It's a direct reference to the window which opened your popup window.

From here, window.opener.top.document.myForm.formElement.value = "whatever"; will allow you to populate the main window's form elements!

Hope this helps!
    Bradley q;)
  • : : In a main window I have various form fields. To populate some of those fields I want to generate a popup window that will have a list of hyperlinks generated from an SQL Statement.
    : :
    : : When the user clicks on the link, I want the information associated with that link to populate some of the form fields in the main window.
    : : Does someone know how to do this? I have seen lots of code to populate a popup window but no code to populate the main window from the popup.
    : : Thanks.
    :
    : Hi there,
    :
    : Yep, try using the WINDOW.OPENER object. It's a direct reference to the window which opened your popup window.
    :
    : From here, window.opener.top.document.myForm.formElement.value = "whatever"; will allow you to populate the main window's form elements!
    :
    : Hope this helps!
    : Bradley q;)
    :

An almost perfect answer, only leave out the top. (If you are in a frame, the link to open the window will be in the same frame as the form you want to update by clicking the popups hyperlink, if not so: use the "top" but follow it with a reference to the frame the form is in!)