Using Internet Explorer

I need to access a bluetooth manager to copy files from a PocketPC to a desktop. Im writing an application in Visual Basic to perform this automatically, however the shared folder on the Pocket PC can only be accessed via the bluetooth adaptor. I can open this using the filepath in explorer and internet explorer but the filepath is not valid within the application.

This is because the filepath is a "logical" path and not an existing directory on the PC. IS there any way i can use the internet explorer APIs to open the directory in explorer. i do not know how to obtain a handle to the window. Then i can use some kind of getfile function to copy the file to a directory on the PC.

If anyone could tell me where to look it would be most appreciated.
thankyou

Comments

• : I need to access a bluetooth manager to copy files from a PocketPC to a desktop. Im writing an application in Visual Basic to perform this automatically, however the shared folder on the Pocket PC can only be accessed via the bluetooth adaptor. I can open this using the filepath in explorer and internet explorer but the filepath is not valid within the application.
    :
    : This is because the filepath is a "logical" path and not an existing directory on the PC. IS there any way i can use the internet explorer APIs to open the directory in explorer. i do not know how to obtain a handle to the window. Then i can use some kind of getfile function to copy the file to a directory on the PC.
    :
    : If anyone could tell me where to look it would be most appreciated.
    : thankyou
    :
    :

So it's a network path?

\ComputerNameSharenamePathFile

Or something like that...

VB functions support network paths to a very limited extent, if at all. Much as I hate to say it (and proponents will probably cheer), take a look at FSO (FileSystemObject). Alternatively, tak a look at using the APIs Windows provides, though they'll be MUCH harder to work out.
  • : VB functions support network paths to a very limited extent, if at all.
    Do they? I never tried...

: Much as I hate to say it (and proponents will probably cheer), take a look at FSO (FileSystemObject).
    [b]D'OH![/b] Today, a brand new piece of history was written... KDL suggested someone to use the FSO!!! Are you leaving me alone as anti-FSO fanatic?

• : : VB functions support network paths to a very limited extent, if at all.
    : Do they? I never tried...

I did say "if at all". Seems like some of them do, but I don't know and don't care to go find them. I'm probably getting memory of VB commands mixed up with memory of APIs.

: [b]D'OH![/b] Today, a brand new piece of history was written... KDL suggested someone to use the FSO!!! Are you leaving me alone as anti-FSO fanatic?

Nope. I wish MS had never written the #%#!%!^ thing. I really, REALLY hope they go the API route, but... between FSO and API for UNC (what is this? alphabet soup???) path support, most people would prefer FSO. Then again, some people would seem to prefer FSO to rename a file...
  • The way this bluetooth manager is installed is that it uses like a virtual path from the desktop. I cant seem to see anyway around this. I cant seem to use the API functions to access this folder because it lies outside of the VB working directory. In this case it is something like c:program filesmicrosoft visual studio.... blah blah. So if i type in the path to use, since VB doesnt recognise the drive, it simply appends it to the aforementioned working directory. Aaargh.

I dont see how i can change this to include the desktop. This seems to lie outside of the available scope of VB.

I tried also to use shell commands to open windows explorer or internet explorer to the given address but this returns an invalid error.

If i open these program manually and insert the text path then the files can be accessed, however the APIs have a built in valid-path-checker that produces an error. If there was some way to disable these checks and send the argument anyway then this approach could work.

How do i access this "folder"? i am completely stumped at this point.

• : The way this bluetooth manager is installed is that it uses like a virtual path from the desktop. I cant seem to see anyway around this. I cant seem to use the API functions to access this folder because it lies outside of the VB working directory. In this case it is something like c:program filesmicrosoft visual studio.... blah blah. So if i type in the path to use, since VB doesnt recognise the drive, it simply appends it to the aforementioned working directory. Aaargh.
    :
    : I dont see how i can change this to include the desktop. This seems to lie outside of the available scope of VB.
    :
    : I tried also to use shell commands to open windows explorer or internet explorer to the given address but this returns an invalid error.
    :
    : If i open these program manually and insert the text path then the files can be accessed, however the APIs have a built in valid-path-checker that produces an error. If there was some way to disable these checks and send the argument anyway then this approach could work.
    :
    : How do i access this "folder"? i am completely stumped at this point.
    :

Create a subdirectory "TEMP" in the folder containing your .VBP.
    Then, "Open" a file named App.Path & " emp" & "myfile.html" and write your HTML there.
    Then point your WebBrowser to "file://" & App.Path & " emp" & "myfile.html", and it should display the file.

Try this one first, it may help.