executing EXE on network file-server

I am fairly new to the .NET architecture, so I apologize if this is a simple issue and I just don't get it.

First the backgroud: I have an EXE file with a series of buttons that acts as a switchboard for my users to access different files
(Excel, Access, etc.) located on a network file-server. The EXE file resides on a network file-server and users execute the
EXE via a shortcut on their desktop. When a button on the switchboard is clicked, I am using the Shell() function with the
appropriate file as an argument to launch the file on the user's computer. This EXE file currently exists as a VB6 project and
works like a champ.

Now for my problem: I am upgrading to the VB.NET architecture and everything works fine when I run the EXE from my
desktop. When I place it on the file-server and execute it from there, the switchboard comes up fine but I cannot launch
any files when I click any of the buttons. I get an error stating that "The application attempted to perform an operation not
allowed by the security policy. The operation required the SecurityException...". I have full security rights to the area I am
trying to access -- obviously since I can successfully access it when the EXE is run from my desktop. It only gives an error if
the EXE resides on the server. Has anyone experienced this problem or know the solution??? Thanks!

Comments

• : I am fairly new to the .NET architecture, so I apologize if this is a simple issue and I just don't get it.
    :
    : First the backgroud: I have an EXE file with a series of buttons that acts as a switchboard for my users to access different files
    : (Excel, Access, etc.) located on a network file-server. The EXE file resides on a network file-server and users execute the
    : EXE via a shortcut on their desktop. When a button on the switchboard is clicked, I am using the Shell() function with the
    : appropriate file as an argument to launch the file on the user's computer. This EXE file currently exists as a VB6 project and
    : works like a champ.
    :
    : Now for my problem: I am upgrading to the VB.NET architecture and everything works fine when I run the EXE from my
    : desktop. When I place it on the file-server and execute it from there, the switchboard comes up fine but I cannot launch
    : any files when I click any of the buttons. I get an error stating that "The application attempted to perform an operation not
    : allowed by the security policy. The operation required the SecurityException...". I have full security rights to the area I am
    : trying to access -- obviously since I can successfully access it when the EXE is run from my desktop. It only gives an error if
    : the EXE resides on the server. Has anyone experienced this problem or know the solution??? Thanks!
    :

I don't program .NET, but what the hey. .NET is a lot like Java (a LOT like Java). Depending on how you are deploying the .NET program (or maybe just in general) then it is like a Java applet. The security exception isn't because YOU don't have permission it's because the PROGRAM doesn't have permission. Just think about it. Would you want any Java applet you downloaded to be able to execute arbitrary commands on your computer (via the Java equivalent to VB's Shell())? Well this is likely the same problem here. In Java you would need to create a policy entry that says such and such an applet signed by such and such as person is allowed to do X, Y and Z. I assume there something similar with .NET.

On a side note, using Shell()-like commands is generally a VERY suspect area for security especially when part of the command is specified by the user.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion